Trinity House, Newcastle


Newcastle-upon-Tyne Trinity House is a charity with a history dating back to the 16th century, when it emerged as a guild formed by the City's seafarers. It was formally constituted on 4th January 1505 when it obtained land near the Quayside on which to build a Chapel, meeting room and Almshouses for mariners; buildings were altered and added to over the years. The Trinity House complex is arranged around three courtyards, entered via a gateway on Broad Chare. Buildings include the Chapel and House Gate (Grade 1 Listed), storehouses Nos. 4, 5 and 6 Broad Chare (Grade 1 Listed), Almshouses Nos. 7-8 Broad Chare 1782 (Grade 2 listed), and Almshouses 9-10 Trinity Chare 1820 (Grade 2 Listed).

Newcastle-upon-Tyne Trinity House is a private Corporation in Newcastle upon Tyne which emerged in the 16th century as a guild formed by the City's seafarers. For the past 500 years it has occupied premises in Broad Chare on the Newcastle's Quayside, from which it continues to provide a combination of professional and charitable maritime services. It remains one of only three bodies in England authorized for the examination and licensing of deep sea pilots.

Origins

The 'Guild of the Blessed Trinity of Newcastle upon Tyne' emerged in the late 15th century, and was formally constituted on 4 January 1505 when it obtained an area of land close to the river on which to build a Chapel, meeting room and lodgings for mariners. (It was secured by the Quit-rent of one red rose, payable annually to a Mr Ralph Hebborn on Midsummer's Day.) Early in its history, the Corporation (as it came to be known) was given responsibility for improving the Tyne as a navigable river. For example, the first Royal Charter (received from Henry VIII in 1536) stipulated the building and fortification of a pair of towers at a certain point on the north bank, and the maintenance of lights thereon for the purposes of navigation. (These were precursors of the High and Low Lights which still stand today at North Shields).

Premises

'Trinity House' is the name of the Corporation's headquarters buildings by the Quayside, a site which it has occupied since the day of its foundation in 1505. Though there have been several rebuildings, some sixteenth-century (and older) fabric remains, and later 18th and 19th-century additions and restorations were sympathetic to the Tudor style of the original. A Chapel, some offices, the Banqueting Hall & Board room, along with the former School and several Almshouse buildings, are arranged around three courtyards, described as 'the most pleasant exterior spaces' in the City. Entry is via a gateway on Broad Chare. The warehouses to the south of the gatehouse are currently leased to Live Theatre; they formerly housed a Trinity House museum.

Later developments

Before long, the Corporation was responsible for the licensing of mariners and pilots and for 'keeping the sea lanes' between Whitby and Berwick-upon-Tweed. At the same time, the Corporation was (and had been since its early years) active in charitable work, including provision of almshouses for aged mariners and the establishment of a school on its premises. All these activities were financed principally through the levying of duties on every ship entering the Tyne to trade - a practice which only ceased in 1861. Following the passing of the Harbour and Passing Tolls Act in that year, the Corporation began to devolve some responsibilities to other bodies; in particular, a new Board took on responsibility for pilotage on the Tyne, and a new Commission took on maintenance of the river's channels and buoyage, together with the Corporation's lights at North and South Shields. Newcastle Trinity House continued though to be responsible for buoys, marks and lights along parts of the coast until the mid-1990s.

Present-day activities and governance

Today, the Corporation remains active in the provision of professional and charitable maritime services. In addition to its work as a Deep Sea Pilot authority, it also offers a broader professional maritime consultancy service. It furthermore continues to provide charitable support for 'aged mariners and their widows', as well as varied educational programmes (raising an awareness of maritime history and practice among younger generations, including in schools). It is also committed to the upkeep of its historic buildings (which are nowadays regularly used for corporate and other events) and its extensive archives.

Trinity House has been a registered charity since 1966 and is governed by a Royal Charter of 1667. Its operation is overseen by an annually elected board; principal officers include the Master, Deputy Master and several Wardens with responsibility for different areas of activity. All are master mariners, except the Secretary to the Board. Mariners who are full members of the Corporation are styled Brethren. Others wishing to support the work of the charity may join as 'associate members'. On formal occasions the Brethren wear a naval-style uniform (similar to that worn by their counterparts in Trinity House, London). The Arms of the Corporation are worn as a cap-badge, and are also prominent on and in the buildings of Trinity House (not just those on Broad Chare, but also structures built and owned by the Corporation in former years such as North Shields High Light).

Despite several similarities of nomenclature, structure and activity, Newcastle-upon-Tyne Trinity House is and always has been entirely independent of its namesake Trinity House in London. Trinity House, Kingston-Upon-Hull is similarly an independent body with past and continuing maritime responsibilities in and around the Humber, and there are also similar institutions in Scotland.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 11/05/2016).
Visit the page: Newcastle-upon-Tyne Trinity House for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
038227:Trinity House Chapel Newcastle upon Tyne around 1820

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
069415:Trinity House, Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
066210:Broad Chare Newcastle upon Tyne Unknown 1998

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Plaque above the entrance to Trinity House Yard, Broad Chare, NE1

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Trinity House Yard, east side, off Broad Chare

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Trinity House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Trinity House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Trinity House Plaque

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Trinity House, Newcastle

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Trinity House Yard, west side, off Broad Chare

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Trinity House Yard, north side, off Broad Chare

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(4876): Newcastle, Broad Chare, Trinity House Gate and Chapel
- "Gatehouse and chapel. Street front of a range of buildings around a courtyard. Mostly C17 incorporating earlier buildings; restoration C19, including gatehouse refronting dated 1841. Sandstone, coursed and squared to ...

Added by
Richy
from Geograph (geograph)
Trinity House Yard, plaque on south wall

Pinned by Richy
from http://trinityhousenewcastl...
Trinity House - Newcastle upon Tyne
- Official Website. "The Newcastle upon Tyne Trinity House is registered in England and Wales as charity No. 243369. Its primary functions are the preservation and maintenance of the historic buildings ...

Added by
Richy
from Geograph (geograph)
Trinity House Courtyard, Newcastle upon Tyne

Pinned by Richy
from Geograph (geograph)
Old anchors and a cannon in Trinity House yard

Pinned by Richy
from Geograph (geograph)
Plaque on the building on the south side of Trinity House Yard

Pinned by Richy
from Geograph (geograph)
Building on the south side of Trinity House Yard

Pinned by Richy
from Geograph (geograph)
Plaque on a building on the east side of Trinity House Yard

Pinned by Richy
from Geograph (geograph)
Plaque on a building on the east side of Trinity House Yard (2)

Pinned by Richy
from Geograph (geograph)
Trinity House from Broad Chare

Pinned by Richy
from Geograph (geograph)
Trinity House Low Yard from Trinity Chare

Pinned by Richy
from Geograph (geograph)
Plaque on the building on the west side of Trinity House Yard

Pinned by Richy
from Geograph (geograph)
Trinity House almshouses, Trinity Chare

Pinned by Richy
from Geograph (geograph)
Building on the west side of Trinity House Yard

Pinned by Richy
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(8728): Newcastle, Trinity Chare, Nos. 9 and 10, former Trinity House
- "Almshouses, now warehouse. Dated 1820 on first floor north wall plaque; for Trinity House, Newcastle. Rendered painted brick; Welsh slate roof...."

Added by
Richy
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(8877): Newcastle, Broad Chare, Trinity House, Nos. 4, 5 and 6
- "Storage building, later rigging loft and dwellings, now storage and empty offices. Early C16. Sandstone with Welsh slate roof. South elevation to Trinity House yard..."

Added by
Richy
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(12297): Newcastle, Trinity House, Rigging Loft, sundial
- "A small square wooden sundial set up on a wall in the courtyard of Trinity House, inscribed to 'John Welford. Master. Anno 1721'...."

Added by
Richy
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(9014): Newcastle, Broad Chare, Trinity House, almshouses
- "Almshouses, now storage rooms and house above. Dated 1787 on plaque. English garden wall bond brick with painted ground floor and ashlar dressings...."

Added by
Richy
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(9165): Newcastle, Broad Chare, Trinity House, Nos. 7 and 8
- "Former Almshouses, now offices and bar. Dated 1782 on panel. Painted brick; Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys, 6 bays...."

Added by
Richy
High Light, North Shields
  Co-Curate Page
High Light, North Shields
- Overview Map Street View The "New" High Light, on Tyne Street, North Shields was built in 1807, designed by John Stokoe for Trinity House, and first lit in 1810.[1]. In conjunction with the Low Light on the North Shields Fish Quay, the ...
Old High Light, North Shields
  Co-Curate Page
Old High Light, North Shields
- Trinity Buildings No. 1 (Beacon House)
from Flickr (flickr)
Newcastle - Trinity House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES