Hebron Parish, 1848
HEBBURN, a chapelry or parish, in the union of Morpeth, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland; containing 633 inhabitants, of whom 124 are in the township of Hebburn, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Morpeth. It comprises the townships of Causey-Park, Cockle-Park, Earsdon, Earsdon-Forest, Fenrother, Hebburn, and Tritlington, and has the great road from London to Edinburgh running through it for above four miles; the whole lies high, and where the aspect is eastern the sea is visible. In Hebburn town ship are 970a. 2r. 14p., of which 849 acres are in tillage, 110 in grass, and 11 wood; the soil is of a rich clayey quality, well suited for tillage or pasturage. The village consists of a few farmhouses and cottages, standing in good gardens, and Hebburn hill, which had formerly a beacon upon it, shelters it well from the north. The tithes have been commuted for £174. 7. The chapel or church, which is subordinate to the church of Bothal, was rebuilt in 1793, at a cost of £700; it is bald and plain, but the masonry and interior fittings are good: the nave is 55, and the chancel 25, feet long. In levelling a road some years since, four cannon-balls were found buried in the earth.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.