Topics > Tees Valley > Elton > Church of St John the Baptist, Elton

Church of St John the Baptist, Elton


There has been a church in Elton since the 12th century. The current St John the Baptist Church was rebuilt by the Rev. Albany Wade in 1841 using masonry from the original church, and retaining it's Norman chancel arch. In the parish church is an early 14th century effigy of a knight (Sir William Gower, a crusader) and the Sutton memorial tablet of 1792. There is also a 1901 rood screen and figures by Sir Ninion Comfer.[1,2] The church is Grade II* listed on the National Heritage List for England.
Elton Grade II* Listed Churches and Cathedrals Historic Buildings and Monuments in Stockton-on-Tees 1841 Elton Parish, 1848
from Geograph (geograph)
St John's Church, Elton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St John's Church, Elton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St John's Church in Elton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. John's : Elton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST - Elton - List Entry
- "Rebuilt 1841 using masonry from original church of C12-C13. Coursed rubble, slated roof, sympathetic early lancet style. Nave, chancel, bellcote. South doorway and chancel arch Norman with chevron and beakhead ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1139261
List grade: 2*
Grid ref: NZ4018417372
District: Tees Valley
Post code: TS21 1AG

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES