Bywell St. Andrew's Parish, 1848
BYWELL (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland; containing 452 inhabitants, of whom 51 are in part of the township of Bywell, 4 miles (E.S.E.) from Corbridge, and 13½ (W. by S.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The parish is on the north and south sides of the river Tyne, and comprises the townships of Bearl, Broomhaugh, Riding, Stocksfield-Hall, Styford, and part of Bywell; the whole forming an area, by computation, of 3,680 acres. It is intersected by the road from Newcastle to Hexham; and the Newcastle and Carlisle railway also passes through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £3. 9. 2., and in the patronage of T. W. Beaumont, Esq.; impropriators, R. Trevelyan and H. Witham, Esqrs. The great tithes have been commuted for £434, and the small for £100; the vicar has a glebe of 14 acres. The church is a small edifice with a lofty steeple.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.