Birtley Parochial Chapelry 1855
Extract from: History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland...Whellan, William, & Co, 1855.
BIRTLEY parochial chapelry was separated from the parish of Chollerton in 1765, and received an independent jurisdiction. It includes the townships of Broomhope with Buteland, and anciently formed part of the barony of Prudoe. It comprises an area of 6,720 acres, and the rateable value is £3,703 15s. Population in 1801, 490; In 1811, 505; In 1821, 480; In 1831, 447; In 1841, 472; and in 1851, 428 souls. The north-east part of this chapelry is mountainous and sterile, but on the banks of the north Tyne, the soil is tolerably fertile. Both coal and lime are found here. It is principally the property of the Duke of Northumberland, Mr Dunn Esquire, Mr Davison, and captain Haggerston. The Duke of Northumberland is Lord of the Manor.
VILLAGE OF BIRTLEY is irregularly built, and consists principally of thatched houses. It is situated 11 miles north by West of Hexham, and 5 1/2 miles N.N.W, of Chollerton. The Chapel is a neat stone edifice, but very limited in its dimensions. The living, a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Northumberland and Deanery of Bellingham, is rated in the parliamentary returns at £140; gross income, £100. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland; Incumbent, the reverend W H Wilson. The petty tithes are commuted for £128, payable to the vicar of Chollerton, the corn tithes amounting to about £80 per annum, are payable to R.W. Grey Esquire, owner of the Chipchase estate, and the Chapel register commences in 1728. The National School, erected by subscription in 1834, at a cost of £130 is a good stone building situated in the centre of the village. In 1837, £5 per annum was granted to this school by the trustees of Betton’s charity, and in 1850, the Duke of Northumberland endowed it with the sum of £7 pounds a year. For these two grants a number of poor children are educated without payment. There is also a day school here, which was established in 1814, and to which the Duke of Northumberland pays £3 per annum for the free education of five poor children of Birtley chapelry. It is conducted by Mr Thomas Stokoe. There is also another school which is respectively attended and is under the superintendence of Miss Isabella Robson.
BIRTLEY HALL, the property of the Duke of Northumberland, and the residence of Mrs Frances Crowther, is a neat stone edifice, erected upon a portion of the site occupied by the old hall, part of whose ruins still remain. COUNTESS PARK, the residence of Mr Thomas Robson, is pleasantly situated on the east side of the north Tyne and is surrounded by extensive plantations. The remains of an old camp, or “station”, are still visible in this vicinity. REEDSMOUTH is a hamlet in this Township, situated at the confluence of the Reed and North Tyne rivers, 2 miles east by South of Bellingham.
BROOMHOPE WITH BUTELAND, a township in this chapelry, is situated 1 mile and 1/2 N. N. W. of Birtley, and is the property of Greenwich hospital; it's rateable value, population, etc.,are included in the returns of the chapelry.
Beggs John, surgeon, Reedsmouth Hall
Elliot Joan, shoe, clog, and last maker
Elliot Thomas, shopkeeper
Hedley John, coal owner, Tone colliery
Lowther Mrs Frances, Birtley Hall
Melbourne George, parish clerk
Millburn James, shoemaker
Ridley Elizabeth, vict. Percy Arms
Robson Isabella, day school
Robson John, joiner
Robson Thomas, wood merchant and shopkeeper
Stokoe Thomas, day school
Short Joseph, schoolmaster and registrar of births and deaths for Kirkwhelpington district, Birtley
Urwin Henry, Tailor
Urwin James, Shoemaker
Westwick John, blacksmith
Armstrong John, and corn miller, Reedsmouth
Charlton Joseph, Tone Hall
Charlton Gilbert, Birtley
Charlton William, Birtley Hill
Davison John, Steel and Broomhope
Forster Christopher, Reedsmouth
Hutchinson Ralph, Carry House
Jobson William, Buteland
Nicholson Jane, Tone Quarry House
Robson Percy and Thomas, Low Shields Green
Robson Thomas, and wood merchant, corn and sawmills, Countess Park
Simpson William and Thomas, Low Carry House
Smith George, Birtley Shields
Stokoe John, Warkshaugh Bank
Carrier to Hexham: Thomas Stokoe, from Birtley, on Fridays.