Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Haltwhistle Civil Parish > Historic Buildings and Monuments in Haltwhistle Civil Parish

Historic Buildings and Monuments in Haltwhistle Civil Parish


Listed buildings and scheduled monuments in Haltwistle, Northumberland, from the the National Heritage List for England[1]. The parish has several Roman sites, parts of Hadrian's Wall and the Stenegate Roman Road. Use the Search (below) if looking for a specific building / monument.

Structure List No. Grade Built~ Note
Accommodation Bridge 60 Metres South of East Lodge to Blenkinsopp Hall 1045269 II    
Alston Arches Viaduct 1156068 II 1852 Railway viaduct over River South Tyne
Armorial Headstone 20 Metres South-East of Church of the Holy Cross 1045235 II    
Armstrong Headstone 7.0 Metres South-East of Church of the Holy Cross 1370339 II    
Blenkinsopp Headstone 1.0 Metre South of Church of the Holy Cross 1045234 II    
Borrow Headstone 2.0 Metres South of Church of the Holy Cross 1370338 II    
Chimney 180 Metres West of the Holme 1303060 II    
Church of the Holy Cross 1045233  I C13th  
Coldor, Valley View and Oakdene 1045236 II    
East Lodge to Blenkinsopp Hall 1156047 II    
Fish and Chip Shop Adjoining Left Return of the Red Lion Hotel 1045272 II    
Footbridge Connecting Platforms at Haltwhistle Railway 1370340 II   Haltwhistle Station
Georgie Girl Hair Salon (Formerly the Town Hall) 1370315 II    
Hadrians Wall Milecastle and Turrets 1156053  I Roman Hadrian's Wall
Haltwhistle Memorial Cross 1430835 II 1926  
Haltwhistle Tyne Bridge 1370314 II 1875 Pedestrian (former road bridge)
Hearse House 30 Metres North-West of Church of the Holy Cross 1045232 II    
Ironmongers Shop (Trading As F Jacson and Sons) 1370336 II    
Lime Kiln 90 Metres North of Moor Cottage 1045270 II C18th  
Nursery Gardens 1156377 II    
Pleasant Place House 1370341 II    
Premises of David B.ivison (Chartered Accountant) 1045230 II    
Premises of Greggs, Billy Bell and Water Willson 1156139 II    
Premises of J.m. Clark, Clive Brown and Armstrong, Watson and Co. 1370316 II    
Railway Bridge 50 Metres South of the Spittal 1303200 II    
Railway Signal Box on South Platform 1156313 II C19th Haltwhistle Station
Centre of Britain Hotel (former Red Lion Hotel) 1303038  II* C15th C18/19th, incorporating C15th pele tower
Roman Catholic Church of St Wilfrid and attached former school room 1431015 II    
Sammys Chop Suey House 1370337 II    
South Vale 1045271 II    
Station House 1302919 II    
The Black Bull Inn 1045231 II    
The Dairy Shop (Adjoining Right Return of Premises of Clive Brown) 1156122 II    
Ticket Office and Waiting Room West of Station House 1045237 II    
Water Tank Building and 2 Water Colunns at Haltwhistle Railway Station 1156353 II 1861 Haltwhistle Station
Whitfield Headstone 20 Metres South of Church of the Holy Cross 1156296 II    
Haltwhistle Burn 1 Roman temporary camp, fortlet and section of the Stanegate 1010945 n/a Roman Scheduled Monument. Stenegate
Haltwhistle Burn Roman temporary camps 2 and 3 and area of cord rig cultivation 1010946 n/a Roman Scheduled Monument.
Haltwhistle Burn 4 Roman temporary camp 1010931 n/a Roman Scheduled Monument.
Markham Cottage Roman temporary camps 1 and 2, a section of the Stanegate Roman road, a length of Roman road and two Roman cemeteries 1010933 n/a Roman Scheduled Monument. Stenegate
Lees Hall Roman camp 1010934 n/a Roman Scheduled Monument.
Milestone House Roman temporary camp and section of the Stanegate Roman road 1010932 n/a Roman Scheduled Monument. Partly in Melkridge Civil Parish. Stenegate
Mare and Foal stone circle, 400m north east of Milestone House 1017728 n/a Roman Scheduled Monument.
Cawfields Roman temporary camp 1017760 n/a Roman Scheduled Monument.
Sunny Rigg 1 Roman temporary camp 1010950 n/a Roman Scheduled Monument.
Sunny Rigg 2 Roman temporary camp 1010951 n/a Roman Scheduled Monument.
Sunny Rigg 3 Roman temporary camp 1010952 n/a Roman Scheduled Monument
Fell End Roman temporary camp and section of the Stanegate Roman road 1010953 n/a Roman Scheduled Monument. Stenegate
The section of Stanegate Roman road from Fell End Roman temporary camp to the track to Old Shield, and the Roman cemetery adjacent to Carvoran Roman fort 1010956 n/a Roman Scheduled Monument. Stenegate
Great Chesters Roman fort and Hadrian's Wall between the Caw Burn and the track to Cockmount Hill farm in wall miles 42 and 43 1010976 n/a Roman Scheduled Monument. Partly in Greenhead Civil Parish. Hadrian's Wall
Seatsides 1 Roman temporary camp and section of the Stanegate Roman road from the west side of the road from Once Brewed to the south side of the B6318 1010940 n/a Roman Scheduled Monument. Stenegate
Hadrian's Wall and vallum between the road to Caw Gap and the Caw Burn in wall miles 41 and 42 1010975 n/a Roman Scheduled Monument. Straddles Haltwhistle, Melkridge and Greenhead Parishes. Hadrian's Wall

Primary source: the National Heritage List for England - NHLE is the register of nationally protected historic buildings and sites in England, including listed buildings, scheduled monuments, protected wrecks, registered parks and gardens, and battlefields. The list is maintained by Historic England. Check NHLE for updates and new entries.
Secondary sources: British Listed Buildings and Keys to the Past.

 Haltwhistle Burn Roman Fortlets
  Co-Curate Page
Haltwhistle Burn Roman Fortlets
- Overview Map and Aerial View From about AD 105 there was a small fort guarding Stanegate, the Roman military road from Corbridge (Corio) to Carlisle (Luguvalium), where it crossed the ...
Church of the Holy Cross
  Co-Curate Page
Church of the Holy Cross
- Overview Map Street View The Holy Cross parish church in Haltwhistle dates back to the 13th century. The church was restored in 1870 by R.J. Johnson, but preserving much of ...
Lime Kiln, nr Moor Cottage
  Co-Curate Page
Lime Kiln, nr Moor Cottage
Alston Arches Viaduct
  Co-Curate Page
Alston Arches Viaduct
- Overview Map Street View Alston Arches Viaduct is a disused railway viaduct over the River South Tyne at Haltwhistle. It was built in 1852 by Sir George Barclay Bruce for ...
Centre of Britain Hotel
  Co-Curate Page
Centre of Britain Hotel
- Overview Map Street View The Centre of Britain Hotel is located on Main street in Haltwhistle. It was previously known as the Red Lion Hotel. The hotel has a three storey ...
War Memorial
  Co-Curate Page
War Memorial
- Overview Map Street View The War Memorial in Haltwhistle is located off Westgate, in a garden to the south of the new Haltwhistle Memorial Hospital. The 6 m tall stone ...
Haltwhistle Tyne Bridge
  Co-Curate Page
Haltwhistle Tyne Bridge
- Overview Map Street View The pedestrian bridge (a former road bridge) over the River South Tyne at Haltwhistle was built in 1875. It was constructed with wrought-iron arches and cast-iron ...
Signal Box
  Co-Curate Page
Signal Box
- Overview Map  
Old Water Tank Building, Haltwhistle Station
  Co-Curate Page
Old Water Tank Building, Haltwhistle Station

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES