Harton Electric Railway


Harton Electric Railway was built by the Harton Coal Company to transport coal from their collieries in South Tyneside. The electrified system opened in 1908, and originally employed a fleet of electric locomotives built by Siemens (probably related to there being German shareholders in Harton Coal Company at that time). The network included a line which ran from Westoe Colliery via St Hilda's Colliery, to the company's  Low Staiths on the River Tyne (near the site of todays ferry landing) in South Shields. There was also a line from Harton Colliery up to Westoe Colliery, and also a line from Boldon Colliery to the High Staiths, by the River Tyne in South Shields. The Harton Electric Railway closed in 1989.


Adaped from 1933 map: http://www.dmm.org.uk/maps/3311-p01.htm

from Youtube (youtube)
Harton Electric Railway 1986 & 1989

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Youtube (youtube)
'END OF THE LINE' Harton Electric Coal Railway by British Coal Television

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
  Co-Curate Page
Harton Colliery (1841 - 1969)
- The sinking of Harton Colliery began on the 10th of May, 1841. It reached the Bensham coal seam on the 10th July, 1844, reaching a depth of 1,290 ft., being the ...
  Co-Curate Page
Westoe Colliery (1909-1993)
- Westoe Colliery opened in 1909, though boring operations in the neighbourhood of Westoe were recorded earlier in 1759 and 1873.[1] The colliery was originally built as a man-riding shaft for ...
from https://www.flickr.com/phot...
Harton Elecrtic Railway - 23 photos
- Flickr Album with photos of Harton Elecrtic Railway by David Ford

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(2456): South Shields, Harton Colliery Staiths (Low Staith)
- "Also known as the Harton Low Staiths, the staithes were opened in 1904 as one of the termini of the Harton Railway. They were unique in that coal was loaded ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(2427): South Shields, Ballast Railway/Harton Coal Company Railway
- "A Ballast Railway from St. Hilda's Colliery (HER ref. 2355) to a ballast hill on The Bents (HER ref. 2452). The western end of this line was at Cooksons ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(2467): South Shields, Railway Spur/Harton Coal Company Railway
- "A Railway Spur connecting Mineral Railway (HER ref. 2427) with the South Shields, Marsden & Whitburn Colliery Railway, (HER ref. 2466). This line was part of the Harton Coal Company Railway ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(2356): South Shields, St. Hilda's Wagonway/Harton Coal Co. Railway
- "St. Hilda's Wagonway connected St. Hilda's Colliery (HER ref. 2355) to the Templetown Wagonway (HER ref. 2449). It was built in 1822 by the Brandlings and eventually became ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Electric Locomotives at St Hilda Sidings

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
  Co-Curate Page
St. Hilda's Colliery (1810 - 1940)
- St. Hilda's Colliery in High Shields was established by Simon Temple and produced its first coal on the 23rd of April 1810. By 1922 St. Hilda's Wagonway was built to ...
from Geograph (geograph)
Westoe Lane station, South Shields & Whitburn Colliery Railway, 1953

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Youtube (youtube)
Harton Electric Railway E4 shunting 17/07/16

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES