Tyne and Wear HER(2427): South Shields, Ballast Railway/Harton Coal Company Railway

  • Description

    "A Ballast Railway from St. Hilda's Colliery (HER ref. 2355) to a ballast hill on The Bents (HER ref. 2452). The western end of this line was at Cooksons/Swinburne's Glassworks (HER ref. 2340) which it reached via a tunnel. A wagonway was built c.1832 with a stationary steam engine working the lower section and horses working the upper section.....It became part of the electrified Harton Railway in 1908, having been extended to the new Harton Low Staiths (HER ref. 2456) in 1904, and worked until 1989..."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/2427
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 299 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES