South Shields, Marsden & Whitburn Colliery Railway


South Shields, Marsden, and Whitburn Colliery Railway opened 1st May 1879[1]

The South Shields, Marsden, and Whitburn Colliery Railway was a Whitburn Coal Company built twin track branch railway line that ran along the North Sea coast in County Durham, England, from Westoe Lane in South Shields to Whitburn Colliery at Marsden via two intermediate stations, Whitburn Colliery station (renamed Marsden in 1926), and Marsden (which closed in 1926).

History

Opening

The line was built in the late 1870s without an Act of Parliament to serve the newly constructed Whitburn Colliery and was opened as a private railway in May 1879. Apart from the colliery and those working there the line served the Lighthouse limestone quarry, a paper manufactory, and local farms. The line opened to the public on 19 March 1888.

Nationalisation

On 1 January 1947 the coal company was vested in the National Coal Board so the railway became the first nationalised passenger line in Britain. (Most of the railways in Britain were nationalised on 1 January 1948 under the terms of the Transport Act 1947).

Closure

Passenger service was officially withdrawn on 14 November 1953, but trains remained running until 23 November. The majority of the line closed to freight with the Whitburn Colliery on 8 June 1968 although the section running through Westoe Lane to Westoe Colliery remained open until 1993.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 14/04/2017).
Visit the page: South Shields, Marsden, and Whitburn Colliery Railway for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
from Geograph (geograph)
Marsden station, South Shields, Marsden & Whitburn Colliery Railway, 1953

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Whitburn Colliery station, with Last Day train from South Shields, 1953

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
souter lighthouse 063.jpg

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(2466): Marsden and Whitburn Colliery Railway (Marsden Rattler)
- "The South Shields, Marsden & Whitburn Colliery Railway ran from Whitburn Colliery Junction, NZ 3622 6556 to the North Eastern Paper Mill (HER ref. 2496) at NZ 4106 6324. The line ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(2427): South Shields, Ballast Railway/Harton Coal Company Railway
- "A Ballast Railway from St. Hilda's Colliery (HER ref. 2355) to a ballast hill on The Bents (HER ref. 2452). The western end of this line was at Cooksons ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.marsdenbannergro...
SOUTH SHIELDS, MARSDEN & WHITBURN COLLIERY RAILWAY (The Marsden Rattler)
- Detailed information and photographs relating to the railway.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Westoe Lane station, South Shields & Whitburn Colliery Railway, 1953

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Westoe Lane station, South Shields, Marsden & Whitburn Colliery Railway on Last Day, 1953

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Westoe Lane station, South Shields, Marsden & Whitburn Colliery Railway on Last Day, 1953

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
  Co-Curate Page
Harton Electric Railway
- Harton Electric Railway was built by the Harton Coal Company to transport coal from their collieries in South Tyneside. The electrified system opened in 1908, and originally employed a fleet of ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES