Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Felton Civil Parish > Felton Parish, 1848

Felton Parish, 1848


FELTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Alnwick, comprising the townships of Felton, Elyhaugh, Swarland, Acton with Old Felton, and Greens with Glantlees, in the E. division of Coquetdale ward; and the townships of Bockenfield, Eshott, and East and West Thriston with Shot-haugh, in the E., and Brinkburn South-Side, in the W., division of Morpeth ward; N. division of Northumberland; the whole containing 1,585 inhabitants, of whom 623 are in the township of Felton, 9 miles (S.) from Alnwick. The parish consists of 14,687 acres, the soil of which is various, but chiefly incumbent upon strong clay, and well suited for the growth of grain: there are some seams of coal, but none has been wrought of late years. Fairs for cattle, sheep, &c., are held on the first Mondays in May and November. The village is pleasantly situated on a steep acclivity, which rises from the north side of the Coquet river; the houses are built on each side of the great north road, with the exception of a few that branch off at the south end of the village, where the river is crossed by a stone bridge of three arches. King John caused a village here to be burnt, in 1216, as a punishment to the barons of Northumberland, who had done honour on the spot to Alexander, King of Scotland. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Long Framlington annexed, valued in the king's books at £3. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £275; impropriator, Col. Davison. The church stands on an eminence on the north side of the Coquet, which winds beautifully through the parish. There are a place of worship for Wesleyans, and a Roman Catholic chapel.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Felton Civil Parish Felton Thirston Township, 1848 Brinkburn South Side, Township 1848 Elyhaugh Bockenfield Parishes and Townships - 1848 Eshott Township, 1848 Acton with Old Felton, Township, 1848
Felton
  Co-Curate Page
Felton
- Overview About Felton Map Street View   Felton is a small village in north Northumberland in North East England. Felton is situated about 10 miles south of Alnwick and 9 ...
Brinkburn South Side, Township 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Brinkburn South Side, Township 1848
- BRINKBURN, SOUTH SIDE, a township, in the parish of Felton, union of Rothbury, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 9 miles (N.N.W.) from Morpeth; containing 55 inhabitants. ...
Elyhaugh
  Co-Curate Page
Elyhaugh
- ELYHAUGH, a township, in the parish of Felton, union of Alnwick, E. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 9 miles (S.S W.) from Alnwick; containing 27 inhabitants. This ...
Thirston Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Thirston Township, 1848
- THRISTON or THIRSTON, EAST and WEST, a township, in the parish of Felton, union of Alnwick, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 9¾ miles (S. by E.) ...
Eshott Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Eshott Township, 1848
- ESHOTT, a township, in the parish of Felton, union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 9¼ miles (N.) from Morpeth; containing 117 inhabitants. It was ...
Bockenfield
  Co-Curate Page
Bockenfield
- BOCKENFIELD, a township, in the parish of Felton, union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 8½ miles (N. by W.) from Morpeth; containing 127 inhabitants. ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES