Eshott Township, 1848
ESHOTT, a township, in the parish of Felton, union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 9¼ miles (N.) from Morpeth; containing 117 inhabitants. It was long in the possession of the ancient family of Carr, and was the property of William Carr, high sheriff of the county in the 8th of Queen Anne, and of Thomas Carr, who filled the same office in the 18th of George III. The township is situated about midway between the coast and the road from Morpeth to Alnwick: it includes the hamlets of Eshott-Brocks, Eshott East-Houses, Eshott SouthHouses, and Eshott Hall; and comprises 1,800 acres, whereof three-fourths are arable, and about 200 acres grass-land. A seam of coal runs through the township, and there is a good freestone-quarry. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £275.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.