Thirston Township, 1848
THRISTON or THIRSTON, EAST and WEST, a township, in the parish of Felton, union of Alnwick, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 9¾ miles (S. by E.) from Alnwick; including the hamlet of Shot-Haugh, and containing 307 inhabitants, of whom 60 are in East and 247 in West Thriston. These two places lie close to the river Coquet, on its south side; and the road between Morpeth and Alnwick runs near them. They comprise together about 2,342 acres, of which the soil is loamy, and very productive. Thriston House, built in 1825, is a neat and commodious mansion.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.