Edlingham


Edlingham is a village in Northumberland located about 6 miles north-east of Rothbury and 5 miles south-west of Alnwick. There was a significant Medieval settlement at Edlingham; the ruins of Edlingham Castle, were a fortified manor complex built in the 14th century. The Church of St John the Baptist in Edlingham dates from the 11th-12th centuries, with it's prominent fortified tower added in the 14th century.  The Edlingham Railway Viaduct, near the castle, is a local landmark, dating from c.1885. The Devil's Causeway (Roman road) runs by the west of the village. Edlingham is also a civil parish.

Edlingham is a small village and civil parish in Northumberland in the north of England. At the 2001 census it had a population of 196, reducing slightly to 191 at the 2011 Census. The road to Alnwick passes close by the village and the town of Rothbury is about away.

The name Edlingham means The home of Eadwulf in Anglo-Saxon. Its recorded history goes back as far as 737 when King Coelwulf gave Edlingham and three other royal Northumbrian villages to Cuthbert.

Landmarks

St. John the Baptist's Church dates largely from the 11th and 12th centuries, with a remarkable fortified tower added c.1300.

Situated close to the church, Edlingham Castle has its origins in a house built by John de Edlingham in the 12th century, which was subsequently strengthened and fortified over the next three centuries. In the 15th century the castle had a moat, gate tower and strong palisade. However, agricultural requirements overtook the need for defence over the following 200 years, and after 1514 the buildings were let to local tenant farmers for housing animals and crops, and fell into disrepair. By 1650 the castle was abandoned and over the next 300 years the theft of stonework left the building in ruins. Excavations were started in 1978 by English Heritage to make the remaining masonry safe for visitors.

The Devil's Causeway passes the western edge of the village. The causeway is a Roman road which starts at Port Gate on Hadrian's Wall, north of Corbridge, and extends northwards across Northumberland to the mouth of the River Tweed at Berwick-upon-Tweed.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 07/11/2016).
Visit the page: Edlingham for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
from Flickr (flickr)
Edlingham Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
History of Edlingham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
23 Edlingham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
To Harpenden

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
1920 Edlingham. What about it? N.E.R.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Cottages, Edlingham

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Farm buildings Demesne, Edlingham, Northumberland

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Cottages at Edlingham

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Cottages at Edlingham

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Edlingham

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Cottages in Edlingham

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Edlingham Village

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Edlingham Burn

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
On the track-bed of the old Alnwick to Cornhill Railway

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Cottages beside the Edlingham Burn

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Old School, Edlingham

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Local History: Edlingham
- "The parish of Edlingham lies in central Northumberland in a landscape of scarps and vales. The village of Edlingham lies at the centre of the parish and is now a ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Edlingham Castle
  Co-Curate Page
Edlingham Castle
- Overview About Edlingham Castle Map Street View The ruins of Edlingham Castle are located to the north-east of the village of Edlingham, about 6 miles north-east of Rothbury. The 'castle' was ...
Devil's Causeway (Roman Road)
  Co-Curate Page
Devil's Causeway (Roman Road)
- Overview About the Devil's Causeway The Devil's Causeway was a Roman road, which branches off Dere Street north of Corbridge, running about 55 miles to near Berwick-upon-Tweed. Today some of ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES