Duddo


Duddo is a small village in Northumberland, located about seven miles south-west of Berwick-upon-Tweed, and three and a half miles from the border with Scotland. Duddo Five Stones is a Bronze Age stone circle located to the north of the village. The remains of Duddo Tower from the 16th century overlook the village, and the defences reflect the hostilities with Scotland and frequent border raids at this time. There are two former churches in Duddo, now converted for residential use; St James Church (1832), later used as a school, and All Saints' Church (1879) - both former churches are Grade II listed buildings. Duddo is also a civil parish, which covers other settlements including Felkington, Grindon, and Twizell.

Duddo is a village and civil parish in Northumberland, about southwest of Berwick on Tweed.

History

Duddo Five Stones is a stone circle to the north of the village. It is a Scheduled Monument.

Duddo Tower, south of the village, was built late in the 16th century. It is now a ruin and a Scheduled Monument. It replaced an earlier tower built in 1496.

Churches and school

The Church of England parish church of All Saints is a Gothic Revival building. It is in a Decorated Gothic style and was completed in 1879.

All Saints' church replaced the earlier parish church of St James the Great, which was designed by Ignatius Bonomi in a neo-Norman style and built in 1832. It was later converted into part of the parish school, presumably when All Saints' church was built. The school has since closed and the building is now a private house.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 03/06/2017).
Visit the page: Duddo for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from Geograph (geograph)
Cottages and post box at Duddo

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Duddo

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Duddo village

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Duddo Stone Circle

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Duddo Tower

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Former Church of St James and school buildings, Duddo

Pinned by Peter Smith
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Local History: Duddo
- "Duddo parish lies in north Northumberland on the border with Scotland. It has a rich variety of archaeological sites, with numerous cropmarks, and important monuments and buildings from the prehistoric ...

Added by
Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Close up, Elizabeth II postbox, Duddo

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Telephone box, Duddo

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Duddo

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
The Rising Sun Near Duddo

Pinned by Pat Thomson
Grindon, near Haydon Bridge, Northumberland
  Co-Curate Page
Grindon, near Haydon Bridge, Northumberland
- Overview Map Street View  
Twizell (Duddo)
  Co-Curate Page
Twizell (Duddo)
- Twizell was a large estate during medievel times located by the River Till in Northumberland, in what is today the civil parish of Duddo. There is evidence of a deserted ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES