Dinnington Parish, 1848
DINNINGTON, a parish, in the union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6½ miles (N. by W.) from Newcastle; containing 761 inhabitants. This place formed part of the parish of Ponteland until 1834, when by act of parliament it became distinct. It comprises the townships of Dinnington, Mason, Brenkley; Horton-Grange, Woolsington, the eastern moiety of Prestwick, and the farm of Sunnyside; and contains 5,700 acres, exclusively of Prestwick Carr, which covers 600 acres in this parish, and 500 in that of Ponteland. About two-thirds of the land are arable, and of a strong soil, adapted to the growth of wheat, and the surface is generally level. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of Matthew Bell, Esq., with a net income of £200, and a good parsonage-house and garden, finely situated on the eastern extremity of Prestwick Carr, and about a quarter of a mile from the village of Dinnington. In 1853, on the expiration of a lease, the benefice will be augmented with the rectorial tithes, which have been conveyed to the vicar by the Warden and Fellows of Merton College, Oxford, the appropriators. The church, erected in 1834, at the cost of £1000, on a site presented by Mr. Bell, is a very neat edifice, with a lofty castellated tower and lancet windows, and contains 300 sittings, of which 150 are free. A few years since, foundations and fragments of an ancient building, supposed to have been a chapel, were discovered.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
This was an 'ancient parish' which came before the splt between ecclesiastical (religious) and civil parishes following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1866 and Local Government Act of 1894.
This ancient parish was geographically larger than todays Civil Parish of Dinnington. With local government reorganisation in 1974, Dinnington, Woolsington and Brenkley became part of the City of Newcastle upon Tyne. Prestwick and Horton Grange remained in Northumberland. Woolsington became a civil parish in it's own right.