Mason was a medieval settlement located in what is now the north-eastern side of Dinnington (presumably from which the Mason's Arms public house in Dinnington takes it's name). Mason was first documented as "Merdesfen" in 1190AD, and 8 taxpayers were recorded here in 1296. Much of the settlement was lost in the Middle Ages, probably abandoned. In the 19th century Mason was a township in the ancient parish of Dinnington. It included North Farm (still surviving) and South Farm (no longer exists). In 1866, Mason Civil Parish was formed from the township, following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866. However, Mason Civil Parish was abolished in 1955 and the area became part of Dinnington Civil Parish. Prior to 1974, Mason was part of the county of Northumberland, after which, as part of the City of Newcastle it was transferred to Tyne and Wear.
MASON, a township, in the parish of Dinnington, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6¾ miles (N.N W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing 144 inhabitants. It comprises 1,063 acres. The village is situated on the east of Prestwick Carr, and adjoins that of Dinnington.