List grade: 1
List number: 1326830
Grid ref: NY4875126365
Wikipedia: St Michael's Chur...

Church of St Michael, Barton, Cumbria


 

St Michael's Church is in the parish of Barton, Cumbria, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Penrith, the archdeaconry of Carlisle, and the diocese of Carlisle. Its benefice is united with those of St Paul, Pooley Bridge, St Peter, Martindale, and St Martin, Martindale. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building. It stands in a circular churchyard, and possesses the only central Norman tower on a medieval church in Cumbria.

History

The nave and tower date from the 12th century, the south aisle and arcade from the middle of the 13th century, and the north aisle and arcade, and the south chapel from about 1300. The chancel was lengthened in the 14th century, and the south porch was repaired in 1699. During the 19th century a stable was built to the north of the tower; this is now used as a vestry. The nave roof was installed in 1904.

Architecture

Exterior

St Michael's is constructed in stone with slate roofs. In addition to the tower, Norman features are found in the north doorway, and in the arcades. The chapels and most of the windows are Perpendicular. The tower has paired bell openings and a plain parapet. In the gable of the porch are the arms of Lowther, or Lancaster.

Interior

Inside the church are three-bay arcades. The south arcade is carried on octagonal piers; the piers of the north arcade are of quatrefoil section. The east and west tower arches are double, consisting of a narrow Norman arch above a wider segmental arch. In the chapels to the south of the tower are two piscinas. The communion rails date from the 17th century, and the lectern and stalls from the early 20th century. The font is medieval, and has a large octagonal bowl. Also in the church are Royal Arms dated 1730. The stained glass dates from 1913; that in the east window is by C. E. Kempe, and in the west window by Hardman. In the chancel is a slab carved with a foliated cross, a sword, and a shield. Elsewhere are wall monuments, the earliest of which is dated 1674.

External features

In the churchyard are twelve structures that have been listed at Grade II. These are: the Todd Monument, the Rowan Monument, a mounting block, the Glasson Monument, the Speight Monument, the Drewsher Monument, the Suder Monument, the Sisson Monument, another Todd Monument, a Nicholson Monument, another Nicholson Monument, and the Walker Monument.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 27/04/2019).
Visit the page: St Michael's Church, Barton for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
from https://barton-church-ullsw...
Church of St Michael , Barton | Pooley Bridge, Ullswater | Cumbria
- Official Website of St Michael’s Church, Barton

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Michael's Church Barton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Michael's Church at Barton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Michael's Parish Church Barton. Interior

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Michael's Church, Barton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
South side, St Michael's churchyard, Barton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Michael's building history (plan)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Michael's Parish Church Barton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Michael's Church, Barton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Michael's Church, Barton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
East side, St Michael's churchyard, Barton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St.Michael's, Barton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL - Barton, Cumbria - List Entry
- "Church. Nave and central tower, C12; south aisle and arcade, mid C13; north aisle, arcade and south chapel, c1300; chancel, tower arches and chapel arch, early C14. West and north ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://www.visitcumbria.co...
Barton – St Michael’s Church
- "The name Barton refers to buildings belonging to a farm. There never was a village here. The Church occupies a site on a mound with a circular churchyard that may ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
  Co-Curate Page
Barton Civil Parish, Cumbria
- Barton is an ancient parish, histoically located in Westmorland, now part of Cumbria. Todays civil parish includes the village of Pooley Bridge and a few hamlets including Barton and Howtown. ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES