Barton Civil Parish, Cumbria
Barton is an ancient parish, histoically located in Westmorland, now part of Cumbria. Todays civil parish includes the village of Pooley Bridge and a few hamlets including Barton and Howtown. The ancient parish of was much larger and included the whole of Eamont Bridge, Tirril, Sockbridge, Pooley Bridge, Martindale and Patterdale. Patterdale became a separate parish in 1863 and Martindale became a separate parish in 1882. When the war memorial lych gate for Barton Parish was built in 1920 the parish still included Tirril, Pooley Bridge, Sockbridge, Yanwath and Eamont Bridge.