Description"The low central tower is Norman (c.1150) with walls 1.5m thick. The west and east tower arches are original, but were strengthened c.1300; there is a high tunnel-vault through the tower. There is also a Norman doorway in the north aisle. The chancel east window of three stepped lancets is 13C, and most of the other windows are of the Late Perpendicular period. The south aisle was built c.1250 and the north aisle c.1300. The roof-slates are fixed with sheep's shank bones instead of nails. The south porch is 17C, with a shield quartered with the arms of the Lowther, Lancaster, Beauchamp and Hartson families. On the north side is a mounting block close to where there was stabling for six horses. The church was restored in 1904." Photo by Humphrey Bolton, 2006.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/279418
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewed: 18 times
Picture Taken: 2006-10-29