Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Belford with Middleton Civil Parish > Belford (St. Mary) Parish, 1848

Belford (St. Mary) Parish, 1848


BELFORD (St. Mary), a parish, and the head of a union, partly in Islandshire, but chiefly in the N. division of Bambrough ward, N. division of Northumberland; comprising the townships of Delchant, Easington, Easington-Grange, Elwick, Middleton, and Ross; and containing 1,789 inhabitants, of whom 1,157 are in the market-town of Belford, 48 miles (N. by W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and 318 (N. by W.) from London. The parish comprises about 7,500 acres. The town is situated on a gentle eminence within two miles of the sea, of which, and of Holy Island, the Farne Islands, and Bambrough Castle, there is a fine view from the high ground on the north: the foundations of an ancient chapel may still be traced on Belford crag. It has a very pleasing appearance, and consists principally of two spacious streets, intersected by a few narrow lanes; the houses are irregularly built: the inhabitants are amply supplied with water. The neighbourhood abounds with diversified scenery and agreeable walks. Belford is mainly indebted for its rise to the spirited exertions of Mr. Dixon, a former proprietor of the manor, who built several houses on a larger and more convenient scale, cleared away unsightly objects, and established a woollen-manufactory, a tannery, &c.: his father had previously procured the privilege of holding a market and fairs. The parish abounds with coal, limestone, and freestone; and considerable quantities of cockles, called Budle cockles, are got upon the coast. The market is on Tuesday, and is noted for corn, much of which is sold for exportation; the fairs are on the Tuesday before Whitsuntide, and Aug. 23rd. The powers of the county debt-court of Belford, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Belford. The Newcastle and Berwick railway passes between the town and the sea-coast. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with 191 acres of land in two distant parishes; net income, £147; patron and impropriator, the Rev. J. D. Clark. The church is at the north-western extremity of the town, and has been lately rebuilt in the early English style. There are places of worship for the United Secession and Presbyterians. The poor law union of Belford comprises 34 townships, of which 33 are in the county of Northumberland, and one in the county of Durham; and contains a population of 6421. About a mile to the southwest of the town is a quadrilateral intrenchment, having an entrance on the north-east, and defended by a wide ditch and a double rampart: it is by some supposed to have been a stronghold, or place of security from the incursions of the Scots, during the border wars; by others it is thought to be of Danish origin. There are a few mineral springs.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Belford with Middleton Civil Parish Middleton Elwick Township (Belford), 1848 Ross Belford Northumberland Parishes and Townships - 1848 Church of St. Mary
Elwick Township (Belford), 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Elwick Township (Belford), 1848
- ELWICK, a township, in the parish of Belford, partly in the union of Belford, N. division of Bambrough ward, and partly in the union of Berwick-OnTweed, Islandshire, N. division of ...
Middleton
  Co-Curate Page
Middleton
- Overview Map Street View MIDDLETON, a township, in the parish and union of Belford, N. division of Bambrough ward and of Northumberland, 1¼ mile (N.N.W.) from Belford; containing 70 inhabitants. ...
Ross
  Co-Curate Page
Ross
- Overview Map Street View Ross is a hamlet in Northumberland, located on the north side of Budle Bay on the coast, about 2 miles north-west of Belford. Ross is the ...
Church of St. Mary
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St. Mary
- Overview Map Street View St Mary's is the parish church of Belford. The church dates from the 12th century; the chancel was restored in 1828 by John Dobson. The nave ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES