Elwick Township (Belford), 1848
ELWICK, a township, in the parish of Belford, partly in the union of Belford, N. division of Bambrough ward, and partly in the union of Berwick-OnTweed, Islandshire, N. division of Northumberland, 2¼ miles (N.E. by N.) from Belford; containing 84 inhabitants. It is situated at the southern extremity of Islandshire, on Budle bay, on the sands of which are very large cockles, known by the name of Budle cockles. The tithes have been commuted for £93.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.