Ross, Northumberland


Ross is a hamlet in Northumberland, located on the north side of Budle Bay on the coast, about 2 miles north-west of Belford. Ross is the site of a medieval deserted village.[1] Today, there is a large farm at Ross and a few farm and old coastguard cottages, including Ross Farm Cottages (holiday rentals). Ross Low is a stream which flows by the settlement into Budle Bay. Ross Back Sands and Ross Links are located to the east of Ross. During World War 2, Ross Links was used for anti-tank training, and there was a small light railway, probably used for moving target practice.[2] A pillbox just to the west of Ross Farm is one of a number of World War 2 defences in the area.

from Geograph (geograph)
Pillbox

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Ross

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Ross Farm

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Ross Farmhouse

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Ross Farm Cottages

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Ross

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Coastguard Cottages, Ross

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Lane Towards Ross Sands

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Parking, Ross

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Coastguard cottages

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Holiday Cottages and Private Road, Ross Links

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Holiday Cottages at Ross Links

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://www.airfieldresearc...
Holy Island area ranges - Ross Links
- ".... Ross Links has been associated with anti-tank training and was certainly in operation in 1948 as a Territorial Army practice was being held there. By 1958 the site was closed ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Ross Low
  Co-Curate Page
Ross Low
- Ross Low is a burn (stream) which flows near the settlement of Ross and discharges into the North Sea at Budle Bay in Northumberland. It's major tributaries are Elwick Burn ...
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Ross deserted medieval village (Belford with Middleton)
- "The village of Ross is mentioned in a document written in 1254. Today, Ross consists of a farmstead and several cottages. Archaeologists describe medieval settlements that have become depopulated as ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Ross Links and Kirkley Wood

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Ross Back Sands

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Ross Back Sands

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Ross Back Sands

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Dunes behind Ross Back Sands

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Cattle grazing on the grass behind Ross Back Sands

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES