WINSTER, a chapelry, in the parish, union, and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 7 miles (W.) from Kendal; containing, with the township of Undermilbeck, in the parish of Windermere, 1,033 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £97, derived from two small farms and the glebe land; patron, the Vicar of Kendal. Winster once formed part of the chapelry of Crook, and the inhabitants still contribute towards the repairs of the chapel there.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Winster is a village in the South Lakeland District of Cumbria, in North West England. Historically within the county of Westmorland, it is situated less than two miles east of Windermere, England's largest natural lake. The village is within the Lake District National Park. The village has a pub, the Brown Horse Inn, an 1850s coaching inn.
A packhorse bridge is a bridge intended to carry packhorses (horses loaded with sidebags or panniers) across a river or stream. There are two packhorse bridges near Winster. The Winster Bridge (1729 with 20th-century parapet) is on the River Winster at . Another packhorse bridge (probably 17th-century, also Grade II listed) is on a tributary of the River Winster at , adjacent to A5074 road.
Visit the page: Winster, Cumbria for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
Grid ref: SD4166893820
Wikipedia: Winster, Cumbria
Add a comment or share a memory.