Shildon Town Council area
Population: 9,976 (2011 Census).
Historically, Shildon Township and East Thickley Township were part of the ancient parish of St Andrew Auckland. Shildon later became an independent ecclesiastical (church) parish. New Shildon developed with the boom in railways and mining, and was a separate ecclesiastical parish.
Shildon Urban District Council was formed in 1894, by the Local Government Act, 1894. This was abolished in the local government reorganisation of April 1974, in which Shildon Town Council was created. Shildon was also part of the district administed by Sedgefield Borough Council from 1974 up to 2009, when Durham County Council became a 'unitary' authority.
Of course, boundaries of parishes and councils have changed over time.