Shildon Township, 1848
SHILDON, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, union of Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3½ miles (S.E. by S.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 2631 inhabitants. Here is a depot for goods, on the railway from Witton Park to Darlington and Stockton. The station is 124 yards in length, and will contain more than 1,000 coal-waggons; four locomotiveengines are generally kept here, and there are extensive warehouses. A church was erected some years ago in a conspicuous situation on rising ground east of the old village: a district has been assigned, comprising the townships of Shildon, Midridge, Eldon, and East Thickley; and a parsonage-house built, towards which the Earl of Eldon subscribed 100 guineas. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Bishop of Durham, and is endowed with £225 per annum out of the property of the see. The impropriate tithes of the township have been commuted for £43. 3.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.