East Thickley Township, 1848
East Thickley is on the eastern edge of Shildon in County Durham. In the past East Thrickley was a township covering a wider area.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
THICKLEY, EAST, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, district of Shildon, union of Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 4¼ miles (S.E.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 452 inhabitants. This place, according to the Boldon book, was severed from the manor of Redworth. It belonged for many generations to the Lilburn family, of whom was Col. Lilburn, a celebrated leader on the side of the parliament in the civil war. The township comprises about 260 acres: the Stockton and Darlington railway passes in the vicinity of the village.