Topics > County Durham > Civil Parishes in County Durham > Shildon Town Council area > Historic Buildings and Monuments in Shildon

Historic Buildings and Monuments in Shildon


Listed buildings and scheduled monuments in Shildon Town Council area, County Durham, from the the National Heritage List for England[1]. Use the Search (below) if looking for a specific building / monument.

Structure List No. Grade Built~ Note
Accommodation Bridge 10 Metres West of Brusselton Lane 1160402 II    
Aqueduct Across Railway 1310689 II    
Black Boy Stables and Outbuildings 1322863 II    
Cart Shed, 2 Metres to Rear of Number 22a Main Street 1322842 II    
Church of All Saints 1322841 II 1869 Former church, New Shilton
Church of St John 1121498 II 1834 by Anthony Salvin
Coach House Centre 1121496 II    
Coal Drops, 110 Metres East of Soho Engine Shed 1160320 II c.1856  
Daniel Adamsons Coach House 1365641 II    
Drinking Fountain, 30 Metres South-East of Entrance to Recreation Ground 1121497 II    
Engine Houses 1160153 II    
Engine Houses, Steps and Retaining Wall to Left 1121493 II    
Engineman's House 1121494 II    
Former Farmhouse Adjoining to East of Low West Thickley Farmhouse 1160179 II C17th Converted into stable & hayloft in mid-C19th. Added to NHLE in 1986. No longer listed. Link
Midland Bank 1121500 II    
Monument to Timothy Hackworth, 27 Metres North-West of West Tower of Church of St. John 1121499 II 1850  
New Shildon War Memorial 1439727 II 1920 Redworth Road
North Section of Railway Bridge, 150 Metres South of East Thickley Grange 1121501 II 1857 East Thickley
Railway Institute and Forecourt Walls 1310667 II 1911 Redworth Road
Shildon Signal Box 1390827 II 1887  
Soho Cottages 1121461 II    
Soho Engine Shed 1310628 II    
Soho House 1160335 II C19th Hackworth's house. Now part of museum.
South Portal of Shildon Railway Tunnel 1121495 II    
Sudbury House (Former Chapel) 1160307 II    
Sudbury House (Former Manse) 1121502 II    
The Grey Horse Public House 1160216 II c.1835  
Wall, 10 Metres South West of Black Boy Stables, Running West for 150 Metres to South of Soho Engine 1322864 II    
War Memorial, 3.0 Metres North of Midland Bank 1160265 II 1923 Church Street
Remains of the Stockton and Darlington Railway 1002315 n/a   Scheduled Monument (Etherley - West Auckland- Shildon)

Primary source: the National Heritage List for England - NHLE is the register of nationally protected historic buildings and sites in England, including listed buildings, scheduled monuments, protected wrecks, registered parks and gardens, and battlefields. The list is maintained by Historic England. Check NHLE for updates and new entries.
Secondary sources: British Listed Buildings and Keys to the Past.

Shildon Town Council area East Thickley Bridge Church of All Saints, New Shildon War Memorial, New Shildon Signal Box Shildon Railway Institute Shildon The Grey Horse Shildon War Memorial Church of St John Monument to Timothy Hackworth Coal drops
Church of St John
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St John
- Overview Map Street View St John's is the parish church in Shildon. It was originally built 1833 - 1834 by Anthony Salvin. The church was largely rebuilt and extended in ...
Monument to Timothy Hackworth
  Co-Curate Page
Monument to Timothy Hackworth
Shildon War Memorial
  Co-Curate Page
Shildon War Memorial
- Overview Map Street View The war memorial in Shildon is located on Church Street, by the entrance to St John's Church. The memorial is a statue of a soldier crouching, ...
Coal drops
  Co-Curate Page
Coal drops
Signal Box
  Co-Curate Page
Signal Box
- "Signal box. 1887, altered 1928 and 1984. Built for the Central Division of the North-Eastern Railway Co. Ltd., possibly designed by the Thomas Prosser, architect to the NER. This box ...
The Grey Horse
  Co-Curate Page
The Grey Horse
East Thickley Bridge
  Co-Curate Page
East Thickley Bridge
- Overview Map East Thickley Bridge (footbridge) is located a short distance east of Locomotion: the National Railway Museum at Shildon. The accommodation bridge crosses Shildon sidings and the former Stockton and ...
Church of All Saints, New Shildon
  Co-Curate Page
Church of All Saints, New Shildon
- Overview Map Street All Saints Church was built 1868 -1869, designed in the 'Early English style' by J.P. Pritchett.[1] It was the parish church for New Shildon. The last service ...
War Memorial, New Shildon
  Co-Curate Page
War Memorial, New Shildon
- Overview Map Street New Shilton War Memorial is located on Redworth Road, opposite the Railway Institute. The memorial commemorates 131 men from the parish of New Shildon who lost their ...
Shildon Railway Institute
  Co-Curate Page
Shildon Railway Institute
- Overview Map Street Shildon Railway Institute is a membership club located on Redworth Road in Shildon. It was built in 1911 by the North Eastern Railway and replaced an earlier Railway ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES