Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI)


The Newcastle Royal Victoria Infirmary was opened by King Edward VII on 11th July 1906, replacing the old Infirmary on Forth Banks, which had been founded in 1751. The RVI was built on 10 acres of Town Moor, given by the Corporation and Freemen of Newcastle. Today the RVI is part of the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. It is a teaching hospital, with close links to the Medical School at Newcastle University. The RVI retains a few of it's original buildings and features; notably Peacock Hall, St Luke's Chapel, the Entrance Lodge and a Statue of Queen Victoria. Much of the site has been redeveloped and modernised, including it's New Victoria Wing, upgraded A&E, and the Great North Children’s Hospital.

The Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI) is an 673-bed tertiary referral centre in Newcastle upon Tyne, England.

The hospital is part of the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and is a teaching hospital for the University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

History

Founded as the Newcastle Infirmary in 1751, the Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI), in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, was opened on 11 July 1906 by Edward VII on of Town Moor given by the Corporation and Freemen. The fully furnished and equipped hospital, containing twenty wards, a nurses' home, chapel and five operating theatres, cost over £300,000,000. The statue of Queen Victoria was the gift of Riley Lord, who was knighted for his efforts in getting the Infirmary built. Overcrowding was a problem, with waiting lists of over 5,000 in the 1930s and until joining the National Health Service, money had to be raised for extensions and new equipment - always difficult especially in the depression years. The Royal Victoria Infirmary has always had close links with the Faculty of Medical Sciences at Newcastle University as a major teaching hospital. The RVI forms the hub of one of the four "clinical base units" for medical students at the university, where students spend the entire 3rd and 5th years of their medical degree.

The New Victoria Wing, including a state-of-the-art accident and emergency department, replacing that of the Newcastle General Hospital, opened in 2010.

Great North Children's Hospital

The RVI is the site of the Great North Children's Hospital.

The hospital is the only provider of Mohs micrographic surgery for skin cancer in the North East of England.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 07/10/2017).
Visit the page: Royal Victoria Infirmary for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
061453:Royal Victoria Infirmary Newcastle upon Tyne Maybury Malcolm 1995

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
024318:Royal Victoria Infirmary Newcastle upon Tyne Unknown c.1906

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
030239:Royal Victoria Infirmary Newcastle upon Tyne Unknown ?c.1912

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
064227:Royal Victoria Infirmary Newcastle upon Tyne Unknown 1906

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
053705:The Kitchen Royal Victoria Infirmary Newcastle upon Tyne Thompson

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
066196:Royal Victoria Infirmary Newcastle upon Tyne Unknown Undated

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
025015:Royal Victoria Infirmary Newcastle upon Tyne Unknown c.1905

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
046122:Ward 6 Royal Victoria Infirmary Newcastle upon Tyne Unknown c.1930

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle University (youtube)
Tackling dementia - Newcastle University

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://research.ncl.ac.uk/n...
History of the Newcastle Infirmary
- History and timeline of the RVI created in 2001 for the 250th anniversary of the founding of the first Infirmary in Newcastle upon Tyne. The pages are part of the ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Old Infirmary, Forth Banks
  Co-Curate Page
Old Infirmary, Forth Banks
- The Infirmary at Newcastle was founded in 1751 following calls for a hospital for the poor and needy, led by Newcastle surgeon Richard Lambert. It opened on 23rd May 1751 ...
Westgate Walk-in Centre (former Elswick Grange)
  Co-Curate Page
Westgate Walk-in Centre (former Elswick Grange)
- Overview Map Street View Elswick Grange was a large house built in the mid 19th century on Westgate Road in Newcastle. It was part of the former Newcastle General Hospital ...
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
064227:Royal Victoria Infirmary Newcastle upon Tyne Unknown 1906

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Peacock Hall, Royal Victoria Infirmary

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Royal Victoria Infirmary

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Royal Victoria Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Loading Dock RVI

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Royal Victoria Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Royal Victoria Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
RVI, Newcastle

Pinned by Peter Smith

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES