Newcastle City Centre
- Queen Victoria Road, Newcastle
Queen Victoria Road, Newcastle
Queen Victoria Road is a street in the centre of Newcastle which has the Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI) on it's west side and buildings of Newcastle University on it's east side. The south end of the road starts from a roundabout forming the junction with Richardson Road and Leases Crescent, by Leazes Park. It runs northwards roughly half a kilometre to Claremont Road and the entrance to Exhibition Park. At the south end of the road is the main entrance to the RVI, Peacock Hall (1906) and a statue of Queen Victoria, after whom the road is named. Towards the north end of the road, past the RVI and before the University's Ridley Building, is Lover's Lane (primarily pedestrian access), which leads westwards up to the Medical School. There are various University buildings along the east side of the road, including the King George VI Building (1939) and Armstrong Building (1887) - both listed buildings.