Topics > Landmarks, Parks and Buildings > Architecture > Paley and Austin
Paley and Austin
Paley and Austin was a practice of architects in Lancaster in the 19th century. It was originally founded by Edmund Sharpe in 1836; E.G Paley became a partner in 1845 and a few years after Sharpe retired, Hubert Austin joined as a partner in 1868. Paley's son, Henry Paley, also became a partner in 1886. The firm's commissions included many churches in Lancashire, Westmorland, Cumberland, Yorkshire and beyond. Many new churches were commissioned and existing chapels and churches restored following the Poor Law Amendment Act (1866), in which resulted in townships and chapelries becoming parishes in their own right.
Add a comment or share a memory.