New Bridge Street
New Bridge Street is a road running east from Newcastle city centre, forming part of the A193, which passes Shieldfield and Ousburn and on to Byker. The street is now cut in half by the A167(M) central motorway, which was opened in 1975, and a section of New Bridge Street in the city centre is pedestrianised, west of the junction with John Dobson Street. The original Central Library building of 1881 was located on New Bridge Street, but demolished in 1967 to make way for the building of John Dobson Street, which opened in 1970.
The section of the road in the city centre is called New Bridge Street West, which runs on from Blackett Street, starting at the junction with Northumberland Street and Pilgrim Street. After the junction with John Dobson Street the pedestrianised section of New Bridge Street has the Blue Carpet square, where there are some notable buildings, including the Laing Art Gallery (1904), John Dobson's House (1825), and the former Lying-in Hospital (1826). East of the A167(M) New Bridge Street runs from near Manors metro station, Shieldfield and on towards Byker. Along the street are St Dominic's Priory Church (1887) and the former Gibson Street Baths (1907), both listed buildings.