Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Backbarrow and Haverthwaite Civil Parish > Historic Buildings and Monuments in Backbarrow & Haverthwaite CP

Historic Buildings and Monuments in Backbarrow & Haverthwaite CP


Listed buildings and scheduled monuments in Backbarrow & Haverthwaite Civil Parish, Cumbria, from the the National Heritage List for England[1]. Use the Search (below) if looking for a specific building / monument.

Structure List No. Grade Built~ Notes
Backbarrow Bridge 1225413 II C17th Backbarrow. Over the River Leven.
Bare Syke House 1266370 II    
Bigland Hall 1225412 II C16th Remodelled and extended in 1809.
Church of St Anne 1225492 II 1825 Haverthwaite
Clock Tower Works 1266371  II* 1849 Low Wood
Gate Piers to Front of Haverthwaite House 1266333 II    
Hard Crag and Adjoining Barn and Outbuilding 1266369 II    
Haverthwaite House and Cottage 1225414 II    
Haverthwaite War Memorial 1457206 II 1920  
Low Wood Bridge 1225415 II   Low Wood
Lowwood gunpowder works 1018134 n/a 1799 Low Wood. Scheduled Monument
Backbarrow ironworks 1007084 n/a 1711 Backbarrow. Scheduled Monument

Primary source: the National Heritage List for England - NHLE is the register of nationally protected historic buildings and sites in England, including listed buildings, scheduled monuments, protected wrecks, registered parks and gardens, and battlefields. The list is maintained by Historic England. Check NHLE for updates and new entries.
Secondary sources: British Listed Buildings.

Church of St Anne, Haverthwaite
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Anne, Haverthwaite
- Overview Map Street View St Anne's Church is located on Old Barrow Road in Haverthwaite. It was originally built in 1825 as a chapel of ease to Holy Trinity Church in ...
Low Wood Gunpowder Works
  Co-Curate Page
Low Wood Gunpowder Works
- Overview About Low Wood Gunpowder Works Map Street View The Low Wood Gunpowder Works, located on the east banks of the River Leven at Low Wood, were in operation from ...
War Memorial, Haverthwaite
  Co-Curate Page
War Memorial, Haverthwaite
- Overview Map Street View The war memorial for Haverthwaite is located at the edge of the village cemetery, overlooking Levis Garth (road). The memorial commemorates 15 local servicemen who lost ...
Backbarrow Bridge
  Co-Curate Page
Backbarrow Bridge
- Overview Map Street View The bridge at Backbarrow carries the road over white water falls on the River Leven. The bridge dates from the late 17th or 18th century and ...
Low Wood Bridge, over River Leven
  Co-Curate Page
Low Wood Bridge, over River Leven
- Overview Map Street View Low Wood Bridge carries the B5278 road over the River Leven between Low Wood and Haverthwaite in Cumbria. The bridge is located at the upper tidal limit of ...
Backbarrow Ironworks
  Co-Curate Page
Backbarrow Ironworks
- Established in 1711. Isaac Wilkinson worked here, he developed a furnace fuelled by charcoal and was one of the first of its kind in the UK.The main products of the ...
Bigland Hall
  Co-Curate Page
Bigland Hall
- Overview Map Street View Bigland Hall is a large county house, located about a mile south of Backbarrow and a similar distance south-east of Haverthwaite in Cumbria. The Hall was ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES