Topics > Tyne and Wear > North Tyneside > Killingworth > Killingworth Village

Killingworth Village


Killingworth Village is located in the south east part of Killingworth. The village and surrounding area was an important industrial area during the 18th and 19th centuries, with several local collieries, quarries, a clay pit, sawmill, brick works and a tile works. The village is designated conservation area.

  • The village belonged to the barony of Roger de Merlay III in 1242
  • The Newcastle Races wer held on Killingworth Moor during the 17th century.
  • In 1793 Killingworth Moor was enclosed by the construction of West Lane, Great Lime Road and Killingworth Road.
  • The village grew, including new homes built for the wealthy mine owners and businessmen who were moving to the area; including Killingworth House (1732) and Killingworth Hall (rebuilt 1765).
  • In 1865 Killingworth separated from Longbenton to become its own distinct ecclesiastical parish; St. John the Evangelist Church was established in 1869.

(Source: Killingworth Village Conservation Area Character Appraisal, 2008)

Killingworth Village, sometimes known as "Old Killingworth", is a small village south of the modern town of Killingworth, and north of Forest Hall in North Tyneside, North East England.

St. John the Evangelist Church

The village church was designed by Bassett Keeling of London, and is faced with local stone, with bands of pink sandstone from a local quarry. It is surrounded by elm and sycamore trees, and ministers to a wide age-group including young families.

Public houses

There are two public houses in Killingworth Village: the Plough and The Killingworth Arms.Killingworth Arms Football Club is a Sunday league team, in the North East Sunday Football League Division D.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 24/09/2017).
Visit the page: Killingworth Village for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

Killingworth Conservation Areas Church of St John the Evangelist Killingworth, Historical account, 1890 Move to West Moor, Killingworth Plough Inn, Killingworth
from Flickr (flickr)
Killingworth: Killingworth Village

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Killingworth Arms Hotel

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://farm4.staticflickr....
Killingworth church
- This church is in killingworth village. It is just behind George Stephenson high school. This photo was taken in 1905

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
031062:Killingworth Village C 1905

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(800): Killingworth village
- "In 1242 Killingworth, with other nearby townships, was held by Roger de Merlay III. There were 9 taxpayers in 1296, 8 in 1312. In a detailed survey of the whole ...

Added by
Peter Smith
from http://www.northtyneside.go...
Killingworth Village Conservation Area Character Appraisal
- Killingworth Village conservation area was designated in November 1974. This character appraisal was prepared during Autumn 2007 by North Tyneside Council. It includes detailed history and extensive photographs.

Added by
Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Killingworth, St John the Evangelist

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Killingworth Hall

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Killingworth Road

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
West Lane, Killingworth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Village of Killingworth (1840).

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Killingworth: Killingworth Village

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Rainbows!

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
The Plough, Killingworth

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
The Killingworth Arms

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Killingworth Triangulation Pillar

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Village houses in Killingworth

Pinned by Pat Thomson
Church of St John the Evangelist
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St John the Evangelist
- Overview Map Street View The Church of St John the Evangelist is located on West Lane in Killingworth Village. Killingworth had been part of the parish of Longbenton, but became ...
from Geograph (geograph)
Gate House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
House in Killingworth Village

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
ACC 7946 Plough Inn

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Flickr (flickr)
ACC 3467 Killingworth Station

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Flickr (flickr)
ACC 3451 Ye Plough Inn

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Flickr (flickr)
ACC 9791 Killingworth Village

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
ACC 14468 Punshon's Cottages

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
ACC 14985 Killingworth Village

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
ACC 28200 Killingworth Village

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
ACC 32446 Killingworth Village

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Acc 30338 Prospect House Killingworth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



Tyne & Wear HER: 800
Grid ref: NZ282709

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES