List number: 1184227
Tyne & Wear HER: 12414
List grade: 2
Post code: NE12 6BL
Grid ref: NZ2793070992

Church of St John the Evangelist, Killingworth


The Church of St John the Evangelist is located on West Lane in Killingworth Village. Killingworth had been part of the parish of Longbenton, but became a parish in its own right in 1865, as the population grew in association with coal mining. St John's was built as the new parish church in 1869, by Enoc Bassett Keeling[1], who also designed Killingworth Hall. The church was built for a cost of £2,032, and consecrated on St John’s Day, on the 28th December, 1869.[2] The church is a is a Grade 2 Listed building.

from Geograph (geograph)
St John's Church, Killingworth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Killingworth, St John the Evangelist

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://farm4.staticflickr....
Killingworth church
- This church is in killingworth village. It is just behind George Stephenson high school. This photo was taken in 1905

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.northtyneside.go...
Killingworth Village Conservation Area Character Appraisal
- Killingworth Village conservation area was designated in November 1974. This character appraisal was prepared during Autumn 2007 by North Tyneside Council. It includes detailed history and extensive photographs.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST - Killingworth - List Entry
- "Parish church. 1869 by E. Bassett Keeling. Sandstone, coursed and squared, with bands of red sandstone; rendered north nave wall. Welsh slate roof with stone copings. Nave and chancel with ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(12414): Killingworth, Church of St. John the Evangelist, churchyard
- "Graveyard of the church built in 1869. Surrounded by a stone wall with railings (HER 7261) which are listed grade 2. Inside the churchyard there are various mature trees. It ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://www.northernvicar.c...
Killingworth – St John
- "St John’s church Killingworth is not easy to find. The main road through the village is the B1505, and Dial Cottage, Stephenson’s House is here. I visited this ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES