Tyne and Wear HER(800): Killingworth village

  • Description

    "In 1242 Killingworth, with other nearby townships, was held by Roger de Merlay III. There were 9 taxpayers in 1296, 8 in 1312. In a detailed survey of the whole township in 1373 16 tenements are listed, with the names of the owners or occupiers. Killingworth Moor was enclosed in 1793. In the mid 19th century Killingworth was still a long 2-row village strung out to the west of the junction of the road from Backworth with that to Long Benton, though one terrace had appeared which might have resulted from mining development...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/800
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Peter Smith
    Last modified: 7 years ago
    Viewed: 475 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES