Topics > County Durham > Civil Parishes in County Durham > Spennymoor Town Council > Historic Buildings and Monuments in Spennymoor (town)

Historic Buildings and Monuments in Spennymoor (town)


Listed buildings and scheduled monuments in Spennymoor (town), County Durham, from the the National Heritage List for England[1]. Use the Search (below) if looking for a specific building / monument.

Structure List No. Grade Built~ Notes
61 and 62, Clyde Terrace 1310887 II    
Brass Tomb Approximately 4 Metres South of Chancel of Church of St John the Evangelist 1121438 II    
Byers Green War Memorial 1433893 II 1925 Byers Green
Church of St Andrew 1121447 II 1884 Spennymoor / Tudhoe Grange
Church of St Charles and Presbytery Attached 1160007 II 1870 Tudhoe. RC church.
Church of St John the Evangelist 1310889  II* 1851 Kirk Merrington. On the site of a medieval church.
Church of St Paul 1121449 II 1858 Spennymoor
Church of St Peter 1159708 II 1845 Byers Green
Colliery Disaster Memorial in York Hill Cemetery, Circa 70 Metres East of Entrance 1322832 II    
Fernlea 1121443 II    
Former National School and Schoolmaster's House 1121478 II    
Garden and Yard Walls at Old Park Hall Farmhouse 1121445 II    
Garden Wall to North of the Hall 1322857 II    
Gate Piers and Piers North of Church of St Charles 1121446 II    
Gate Piers, Gate and Walls to South-West of Hallgarth Farmhouse 1159674 II    
Grave Cover 1.5 Metres East of Church of St John the Evangelist 1121439 II    
Grave Cover 2 Metres East of Church of St John the Evangelist 1261260 II    
Grave Cover Against West Wall of Boiler House North of Church of St John the Evangelist 1121480 II    
Hallgarth Farmhouse 1121477 II    
Ice-House Circa 50 Metres West of Whitworth Hall 1160109 II    
Kirk Merrington War Memorial 1438714 II 1921 Kirk Merrington
No.41 (The Green Tree Public House) and No.43 1121442 II    
North Farm 1121441 II    
Old Park Hall Farmhouse and Farmbuildings and Wall 1310779 II    
Outbuilding to South East of No.22 (Tudhoe Hall Farm) 1322854 II    
Rose Arbour to West of Whitworth Hall 1322859 II C19th Whitworth
Shalter Tomb Circa 20 Metres South-West of Church of St John the Evangelist 1159811 II    
Shellom House and Outbuilding, and Garden Wall Attached 1322858 II    
Spennymoor Cottage and Spennymoor House 1310652 II    
Spennymoor Settlement 1390830 II    
Spennymoor U.D. War Memorial with Dwarf Walls, Railings and Gate Around 1121444 II 1922 Spennymoor
The Hall with Outbuilding, and Piers and Wall Attached 1159929 II    
The Old Rectory 1322856 II    
Tudhoe Hall Farm and Tudhoe Hall 1121440  II* C17th  
Tudhoe House and Laburnum Cottage and Walls Attached 1322855 II    
Tudhoe Methodist Church 1322853 II 1870 Tudhoe. Former Primitive Methodist chapel
Tudhoe War Memorial 1440857 II c.1920s Tudhoe
Two Grave Covers Against South Wall of Nave of Church of St John the Evangelist 1121481 II    
Wall and Outbuilding Attached to North of Shellom House 1160038 II    
Walls, Piers and Gates to West of Former School and Church of St. Peter 1322831 II    
War Memorial in York Hill Cemetery, with Piers, Rails and Chain Around 1121479 II    
Whitworth Hall 1160067 II C17th Whitworth. largely rebuilt c1900. Hotel
Whitworth Parish Church 1121448 II C12th Whitworth.
Wilkinson Tomb Circa 2 Metres South of Whitworth Parish Church 1365640 II    
Windlestone Hall Grounds 1001407 II   Listed Park and Garden. Partly in this parish.

Primary source: the National Heritage List for England - NHLE is the register of nationally protected historic buildings and sites in England, including listed buildings, scheduled monuments, protected wrecks, registered parks and gardens, and battlefields. The list is maintained by Historic England. Check NHLE for updates and new entries.
Secondary sources: British Listed Buildings and Keys to the Past.

Church of St Andrew
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Andrew
- Overview Map Street View St. Andrew's Church is the parish church of Tudhoe Grange, and is located close to Spennymoor town centre. The church was built 1883-4 and is a ...
Spennymoor War Memorial
  Co-Curate Page
Spennymoor War Memorial
- Overview Map Street View The war memorial in Spennymoor is located on Cheapside. It was built by E.C. Kenmir for Spennymoor Urban District Council on a site donated by Weardale ...
Church of St Paul
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Paul
- Overview Map Street View  
Tudhoe Old Hall
  Co-Curate Page
Tudhoe Old Hall
- Overview Map Street View Tudhoe Hall, off the village green in Tudhoe, dates from the early 17th century, probably incorporating the fabric of an earlier building. The building was altered ...
Church of St. John the Evangelist
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St. John the Evangelist
- "[In 1144] the church played a brief but dramatic role in the rebellion of William Cumin, former chancellor to David, King of Scotland, who had laid claim to be bishop ...
War Memorial, Kirk Merrington
  Co-Curate Page
War Memorial, Kirk Merrington
- The parish war memorial is located by St John's Church in Kirk Merrington. The memorial was unveiled on the 23rd of July 1921 by Sir Timothy Eden of Windlestone Hall, ...
RC Church of St Charles, Tudhoe
  Co-Curate Page
RC Church of St Charles, Tudhoe
- Overview Map Street View The Roman Catholic parish church of St Charles in Tudhoe was built in 1870 by J.A. Hansom & Son.[1] The church tower was added in 1882. ...
Church of St Peter the Apostle, Byers Green
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Peter the Apostle, Byers Green
- Overview Map Street View The Parish Church of St Peter the Apostle in Byers Green was built 1844-1845 by G.Y. Wall. The church is Grade II listed.
War Memorial, Tudhoe
  Co-Curate Page
War Memorial, Tudhoe
- Overview Map Street View The stone war memorial stands on the Green in the centre of Tudhoe Village in honour of local men who lost their lives in the First ...
Whitworth Hall Hotel
  Co-Curate Page
Whitworth Hall Hotel
- Overview Map Street View  
Whitworth Parish Church
  Co-Curate Page
Whitworth Parish Church
- Overview Map  
Rose Arbour, Whitworth Hall
  Co-Curate Page
Rose Arbour, Whitworth Hall
War Memorial, Byers Green
  Co-Curate Page
War Memorial, Byers Green
- Map Street View
Tudhoe Methodist Church
  Co-Curate Page
Tudhoe Methodist Church
- Overview Map Street View Tudhoe Methodist Church is located on Front Street, Tudhoe. It was built in c.1870 by local miners, originally a Primitive Methodist chapel, with a rear schoolroom. The ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES