Topics > County Durham > Harwood
HARWOOD, a chapelry, in the parish of Middleton-in-Teesdale, union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 10 miles (S.E. by S.) from Alston-Moor. There are some extensive lead-mines in the chapelry and its vicinity. The chapel was built in 1802: the living is in the gift of the Rector.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
"Harwood is a large district occupying the western extremity of this township [of Forest and Frith], where there are many lead mines, in which great numbers of the inhabitants are employed. The church of St. Jude, at Harwood, a chapel of ease to Forest and Frith, was rebuilt in 1849, at a cost of £240 and consists of nave only: attached is a school, rebuilt in 1853, at a cost of £100, the two forming one building, the dividing wall of which is surmounted by a bell gable: they were both erected by the Duke of Cleveland K.G.: the chapel has 80. sittings...."
Kelly's Directory of Durham (1890)
Harwood is a small village in County Durham, England. It is situated in the North Pennines AONB near the head of Teesdale. Lying along the B6277, the village is north-west of Middleton-in-Teesdale and south-east of Alston in Cumbria. It lies in the Bishop Auckland parliamentary constituency.
Visit the page: Harwood, County Durham for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
Wikipedia: Harwood, County Dur…
Grid ref: NY817334
Add a comment or share a memory.