Forest with Firth Township, 1848
FOREST, with Frith, a township, comprising Ettersgill, Middle Forest, and Harwood parts, in the parish of Middleton-in-Teesdale, union of Teesdale, S.W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 4½ miles (N.W.) from Middleton; containing 884 inhabitants. The township contains several lead-mines, and abounds with romantic scenery; it is washed on the south by the Tees, where that river, rolling over a rocky bed, forms several cascades, two of which, Caldron Snout and High Force, rank amongst the most remarkable waterfalls in the kingdom.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.