Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Stanwix Rural Civil Parish > Crosby-Upon-Eden Parish, 1848

Crosby-Upon-Eden Parish, 1848


CROSBY-UPON-EDEN (St. John), a parish, in the union of Carlisle, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 4 miles (N.E. by E.) from Carlisle; containing 403 inhabitants, of whom 146 are in the township of High Crosby, and 133 in that of Low Crosby. This place is supposed to have derived its name from an ancient cross, to which, in the time of Henry I., the inhabitants resorted for prayer, previously to the erection of the present church on its site. The parish is finely situated on the river Eden, by which it is bounded for nearly three miles, and is intersected by the military road from Newcastle to Carlisle; the southern portion forms part of the fertile vale of Eden, and towards the north the surface rises to a considerable elevation, commanding extensive and richly varied prospects. Freestone of a reddish colour, and of a fine compact texture, is obtained in the neighbourhood. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £3. 11. 5½.; net income, £100; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church, situated in the village of Low Crosby, is a small ancient edifice. An additional church has been erected; and a national school, built in 1806, is supported by subscription. In the northern part of the parish, the sites of the Roman wall built by Severus, and of the ditch by Adrian, are plainly discernible.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Note: Crosby-on-Eden Civil Parish was abolished in 1934; parts of it were subsumed into Stanwix Civil Parish, the rest into Wetheral Civil Parish.[1]

Stanwix Rural Civil Parish High Crosby River Eden (Cumbria) Low Crosby Cumberland, Parishes and Townships, 1848
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Crosby on Eden
- "Ancient parish in Eskdale ward, Cumberland, comprising townships of High Crosby, Low Crosby and Walby. Brunstock was detached part of Crosby parish (see Stanwix). Crosby-on-Eden CP abolished 1934; part subsumed ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
River Eden (Cumbria)
  Co-Curate Page
River Eden (Cumbria)
- Overview About the River Eden The River Eden is a major river in Cumbria, which discharges into the Solway Firth. The settlements along the river include Kirby Stephen, Appleby-in-Westmorland, Bolton, Wetheral, ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES