Copthill Quarry

  • Description

    "Disused and flooded quarry on the outcrop of the whin sill at Cowshill. The quarry was opened up in 1895 by Octavius Monkhouse who was the Innkeeper at the nearby Cowshill Inn and son of the local minister. The quarry is one of two whinstone quarries in Weardale, the other is at Stanhope, and rock was carted from the quarry to Wearhead railway station and from there down the dale for use in construction projects. About 50 men worked the quarry in the early days and as it developed permission was obtained to demolish first the vicarage and then the church itself. Now only the graveyard remains, above the quarry, north west of Copthill Farm. By 1926 the quarry was in financial difficulties and closed down but a group of local men formed the Cowshill Quarry Company and this new company took over and continued the work up until final closure in 1943. http://www.aditnow.co.uk/mines/Copt-Hill-Whinstone-Quarry/" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2009.
  • Owner

    Andrew Curtis
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1562709
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 512 times
    Picture Taken: 2009-10-30
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES