Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Glassonby Civil Parish > Addingham Parish, 1848

Addingham Parish, 1848


ADDINGHAM (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 1½ mile (S.E.) from Kirk-Oswald; containing, with the townships of Gamblesby, Glassonby, Hunsonby and Winskel, and Little Salkeld, 735 inhabitants. It is bounded on the west by the river Eden, and the Roman road called Maiden-way may be traced here in many parts of its course: there are some quarries of red freestone. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 4. 7.; net income, £253; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is situated in the township of Glassonby: at Gamblesby are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans; also one for the latter at Hunsonby; and there are well-endowed free schools at Hunsonby and Maughamby. At Little Salkeld is a remarkable monument supposed to be Druidical, commonly called 'Long Meg and her Daughters," consisting of 67 stones varying in shape and height, which form a circle about 350 feet in diameter; and in the same township was anciently a chapel, the site of which, according to tradition, was at a village called Addingham, on the eastern bank of the Eden, where human bones, crosses, and other remains, have been dug up. Dr. Paley, the celebrated theological writer, held the living.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Glassonby Civil Parish Glassonby, 1848 Cumberland, Parishes and Townships, 1848 Gamblesby
Gamblesby
  Co-Curate Page
Gamblesby
- Overview About Gamblesby Map Street View Gamblesby is a village in the Eden district of Cumbria, located about 8 miles north-west of Penrith and just over a mile north of ...
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Gamblesby Township
- "Township in Addingham parish, Leath ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Glassonby CP 1934....pastoral farming. Coal and lead mining on Hartside, recorded from 1688. Ironstone mining, quarrying and lime-burning in 19th ...

Added by
Edmund Anon
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Glassonby Township
- "Township in Addingham parish, Leath ward, Cumberland. CP enlarged by absorbing Gamblesby CP 1934....Glassonby and Gamblesby held jointly by descendants of Hildred of Carlisle from 12th century, passed to ...

Added by
Edmund Anon
  Co-Curate Page
Glassonby, 1848
- GLASSONBY, a township, in the parish of Addingham, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 8 miles (N.E. by N.) from Penrith; containing 165 inhabitants. It comprises 2,245 ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES