Bolam, Northumberland


Bolam in Northumberland is in the civil parish of Belsay. It was once a thriving village with its own market and the permission to hold fairs.[1] However, it fell into decline from the 16th century. Few of the houses remain, but the Saxon Church of St Andrew, the vicarage and Bolam Hall (1810) still stand. Bolam Lake and Country Park was part of the grounds of Bolam Hall. Shortflatt Tower, a medieval house and defensive tower, lies a mile to the south west of Bolam. There were earlier settlements nearby. These include an Iron Age defensive settlement on Slate Hill, just north of Bolam Lake.

from Flickr (flickr)
Bomb hole

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
St Andrew's Church, Bolam, Northumberland

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://upload.wikimedia.org...
Bowlam lake island
- Image by Newbiggin Hall Scouts, licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Road by Crofts, Bolam

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Bolam Deserted Village (Belsay)
- "Bolam was once a town with its own market and the permission to hold fairs. However, it began to shrink in size from the 16th century. It was divided into ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES