Bolam Deserted Village (Belsay)

Related Pages


Bolam


Northumberland

  • Description

    "Bolam was once a town with its own market and the permission to hold fairs. However, it began to shrink in size from the 16th century. It was divided into to two parts in 1597, and a hedge and ditch ran across the centre of the village. During the 18th century the number of houses declined, and the last house had gone soon after 1810. The only surviving buildings were the vicarage, schoolhouse, a farmstead, a public house, two cottages and the church and hall. A park was built around the hall, and now only the hall, vicarage and church still stand. However, extensive earthworks...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Detailsx?PRN=N10586
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 396 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES