Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Akeld Civil Parish

Akeld Civil Parish


Parish boundaries may have changed - for the latest map see the Parish Council or Northumberland County Council.

Akeld Civil Parish is located on the northern edge of the Cheviots, to the west of Wooler in Northumberland. The main settlement is the village of Akeld, and there are also the hamlets of Humbleton and Bendor. The population of the parish was 221 at the time of the 2011 Census. In the past Akeld township was part of the ancient Parish of Kirknewton.

About the Parish

Settlements:

Akeld (village), Humbleton and Bendor.

Population:

221  (2011 Census)

190  (2001 Census)

Area: 88.7 km2
Parish Council: Akeld Parish Meeting (dormant)
Unitary Authority: Northumberland County Council

Historical

Ancient Townships

(in modern CP area)

Akeld Township

Humbleton Township

Townships became civil parishes in their own right in 1866 (see below).

Ancient Parish:

Kirknewton Parish  (St Gregory)

Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.

Ancient District:

Glendale (ward)

Poor Law Union:

Glendale Poor Law Union, formed in 1836.

Glendale Union Workhouse was located on Wooler High Street, built in 1839 to house up to 70 inmates. 

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 parishes were grouped into Unions, each of which had to build a workhouse if they did not already have one. It ended the old system of locally provided poor relief which had come under strain as numbers out of work grew, following increasing mechanisation of agriculture and the economic downturn after the Napoleonic Wars, along with changing social attitudes. The workhouse provided those unable to support themselves financially with accommodation and work. Inmates were generally segregated into men, women, boys and girls. 

The workhouse system was abolished by the Local Government Act 1929, but many workhouses lived on as ‘Public Assistance Institutions’ until the National Assistance Act 1948.

District Council:

Glendale Rural District (1894 - 1974). The district was abolished in 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972.

Berwick-upon-Tweed Borough (1974 - 2009). Berwick-upon-Tweed district covered the previous borough of Berwick-upon-Tweed, Belford Rural District, Glendale Rural District and Norham and Islandshires Rural District.

The district council was abolished when Northumberland County Council became a unitary authority on the 1st of April 2009. 

Major boundary change:

On the 1st April 1955, Akeld Civil Parish absorbed Humbleton Civil Parish (1866 - 1955).

County / Unitary Authority

The ancient county of Northumberland was enlarged following the Counties (Detached Parts) Act 1844; Bedlingtonshire, Norhamshire, Islandshire, the Farne Islands and Monks' House all became part of Northumberland. Up to then they had been enclaves of County Durham.

Northumberland County Council formed 1889.

Major boundary changes came into effect on the 1st April 1974. This followed the Local Government Act 1972, which formed the non-metropolitan county of Northumberland. This excluded the City of Newcastle upon Tyne and North Tyneside, which up to then had been part of Northumberland, but now became part of the newly formed Tyne & Wear.

Northumberland County Council became a unitary authority on the 1st of April 2009.

See also:  Historic Buildings and Monuments in Akeld Civil Parish. Note: listed buildings are generally the responsibility of the county council / unitary authority, rather than the parish council.

Civil Parishes in Northumberland Humbleton Akeld Township, 1848 Bendor Akeld Historic Buildings and Monuments in Akeld Civil Parish
Akeld
  Co-Curate Page
Akeld
- Overview About Map Street View Akeld is a village in Northumberland. It is located by Akeld Burn near its confluence with the River Glen. During the middle ages the area ...
Humbleton
  Co-Curate Page
Humbleton
- Overview Map Street View Humbleton is a small hamlet below Humbleton hill, located between Akeld and Wooler in Northumberland.
Bendor
  Co-Curate Page
Bendor
- Overview Map Street View Bendor is a Hamlet in Northumberland between Akeld and Wooler. The site of the Battle of Homildon Hill in 1402 is marked by a standing stone in ...
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Local History: Akeld
- "Akeld is a small parish on the northern edge of the Cheviots. It was originally a township in the parish of Wooler. The area is rich in archaeological remains, particularly ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Akeld Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Akeld Township, 1848
- AKELD, a township, in the parish of Kirk-Newton, union of Glendale, W. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 3 miles (N.W. by W.) from Wooler; containing 182 inhabitants. ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES