Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Acklington Civil Parish

Acklington Civil Parish


Parish boundaries may have changed - for the latest map see the Parish Council or Northumberland County Council.

Acklington Civil Parish in Northumberland includes the settlments of Acklington, Guyzance, Brainshaugh and Acklington Park. Historically, Acklington and Acklington Park were both townships in the ancient Parish of Warkworth, whilst Guyzance was an extra-parochial district (not part of a parish), which also included Brainshaugh. These later became 3 separate civil parishes, until 1st of April 1955, when Acklington Park and Guzance were merged into Acklington Civil Parish.

About the Parish

Settlements: AcklingtonGuyzanceBrainshaugh and Acklington Park
Population:

544  (2011 Census)

467  (2001 Census)

Area: 17.5 km2
Parish Council: Acklington Parish Council
Unitary Authority: Northumberland County Council

Historical

Ancient Townships

(in modern CP area)

Acklington Township

Acklington Park Township

Guyzance - Extra-Parochial District (which included Brainshaugh)

Townships became civil parishes in their own right in 1866 (see below).

Ancient Parish:

Warkworth Parish  (St Lawrence)

Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.

Ancient District:

Morpeth (ward)

Except Guyzance, with was in Coquetdale (ward)

Poor Law Union:

Alnwick Poor Law Union, formed in 1836. 

Alnwick Union Workhouse was built in 1841 on Wagon Way Road, south-east of Alnwick, built to house 120 inmates. Prior to that there were smaller workhouses in Alnwick, Birling and Warkworth.

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 parishes were grouped into Unions, each of which had to build a workhouse if they did not already have one. It ended the old system of locally provided poor relief which had come under strain as numbers out of work grew, following increasing mechanisation of agriculture and the economic downturn after the Napoleonic Wars, along with changing social attitudes. The workhouse provided those unable to support themselves financially with accommodation and work. Inmates were generally segregated into men, women, boys and girls. 

The workhouse system was abolished by the Local Government Act 1929, but many workhouses lived on as ‘Public Assistance Institutions’ until the National Assistance Act 1948.

District Council:

Alnwick Rural District, formed in 1894. The district was abolished in 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972.

Alnwick District from 1974 to 2009. Alnwick District covered the area of 4 former districts (Alnwick Urban District, Amble Urban District, Alnwick Rural District and Rothbury Rural District).

The district council was abolished when Northumberland became a unitary authority on the 1st of April 2009.

Major Boundary Changes

1955 - Acklington CP was enlarged by the abolition of Acklington Park Civil Parish

1955 - Acklington CP was enlarged by the abolition of Guyzance Civil Parish

County / Unitary Authority

The ancient county of Northumberland was enlarged following the Counties (Detached Parts) Act 1844; Bedlingtonshire, Norhamshire, Islandshire, the Farne Islands and Monks' House all became part of Northumberland. Up to then they had been enclaves of County Durham.

Northumberland County Council formed 1889.

Major boundary changes came into effect on the 1st April 1974. This followed the Local Government Act 1972, which formed the non-metropolitan county of Northumberland. This excluded the City of Newcastle upon Tyne and North Tyneside, which up to then had been part of Northumberland, but now became part of the newly formed Tyne & Wear.

Northumberland County Council became a unitary authority on the 1st of April 2009.

See also:  Historic Buildings and Monuments in Acklington Civil Parish. Note: listed buildings are generally the responsibility of the county council / unitary authority, rather than the parish council.

Civil Parishes in Northumberland Guyzance District, 1848 Acklington Guyzance Acklington Park Brainshaugh Historic Buildings in Acklington Civil Parish
from http://acklingtonparish.org...
Acklington Parish Council
- "Welcome to Acklington Parish Council’s Web Page Here you can find details of what the Parish Council has been doing and what it is planning and hoping to do ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Local History: Acklington
- "The parish of Acklington has a variety of archaeological remains from prehistoric times through to 20th century structures from World War II, so there is something to interest everyone. The ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Acklington
  Co-Curate Page
Acklington
- Overview About Map Street View Acklington is a village in Northumberland, located about 10 miles north of Morpeth and 2½ miles south-west of Amble. Historically, Acklington was a township in ...
Brainshaugh
  Co-Curate Page
Brainshaugh
- Overview Map Street View Brainshaugh is a hamlet located by the River Coquet, about half a mile south-west of Guyzance, in Northumberland. It takes its name from Brainshaugh, a 16/17th ...
Guyzance
  Co-Curate Page
Guyzance
- Overview About Guyzance Map Street View Guyzance is a village in Northumberland, located by the River Coquet and about 5 miles south of Alnwick and 3 miles west of Warkworth. ...
Acklington Park
  Co-Curate Page
Acklington Park
- Acklington Park is a distributed hamlet in Northumberland, which includes Acklington Park Farm, located about a mile north west of the village of Acklington. Acklington Park was established as a ...
Guyzance District, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Guyzance District, 1848
- GUYSON, or Guyzance, an extra-parochial district, in the union of Alnwick, E. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 8½ miles (S. by E.) from Alnwick; containing, with Brainshaugh, ...
from https://www.visionofbritain...
Acklington Tn/CP

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES