In Northern England:
- 1880: St James' Park football ground built on grazing land near Town Moor in Newcastle.
- 1880: Founding of Swan Hunter, shipbuilders in Wallsend.
- 1880: demolition of Carliol Tower, part of the Medieval Town Walls, to make way for a public library in Newcastle.
- 14th January 1880: opening of the Watch House for the Seaton Sluice Volunteer Life-Saving Company.
- 11th May 1880: opening of Northumberland Village Homes in Whitley Bay, for destitute girls.
- 23rd June 1880: opening of Roker Park in Sunderland
- 20th October 1880: the Lit & Phil society’s lecture theatre was the 1st public room to be lit by electric light, during a lecture by Sir Joseph Swan.
- 16th December 1880: start of the First Boer War