1835


< 1834 | 1835 | 1836 >

In Northern England:

  • 18th June 1835: 102 men and boys killed in an explosion at Wallsend Colliery.
  • 2nd July 1835: Haswell Colliery opened; the first colliery with a steel cable down its mine shaft.
  • 24th October 1835; the Grainger Market in Newcastle was opened to the public for the first time.
  • 1835; Neville Street in Newcastle was built to connect Collingwood Street with Scotswood Road.
  • 1835: coal production began at Wearmouth Colliery, Sunderland.
  • 1835: opening of Urpeth Colliery in County Durham.
from Victoria Sage (flickr)
Gateshead viewed from Newcastle, ca 1835

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
006337:The Tyne at Walker Quay 1835

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Grainger Market
  Co-Curate Page
Grainger Market
- Overview About Granger Town Map Street View The Grainger Market was opened to the public on the 24th October 1835, and was originally divided into a butchers&rsquo; market and separate ...
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(4091): Newcastle, Victoria Tunnel
- "This was an underground railway built for Porter and Latimer (by William Gilhespie, local engineer) from Spital Tongues Colliery to the Tyne near Glasshouse Bridge. The lease for mining was ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://upload.wikimedia.org...
St. Andrew's Church : Bolam Parish Church of Heighington : Built 1835
- Photograph by Hugh Mortime published under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
048785:Grainger Market was opened in 1835 and was designed and built by John Dobson and Richard Grainger.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
  Co-Curate Page
Haswell Colliery (1835-1896)
- Haswell Colliery, located between Haswell and Haswell Plough, first began producing coal on 2nd July 1835. It was reputably the first colliery in the world with a steel cable down ...
Church of St. Andrew, Bolam, County Durham
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St. Andrew, Bolam, County Durham
- Overview Map Street View St Andrew's is the parish chuch of Bolam, County Durham. It was built in 1835 and is a Grade II listed building.
Wallsend Colliery (1778 - 1935)
  Co-Curate Page
Wallsend Colliery (1778 - 1935)
- Wallsend Colliery consisted of 7 pits and was active between 1778 and 1935. The high main coal seam was nearly six feet thick and the term "Wallsend coal" was at ...
West Lodge and Gateway, Chillingham
  Co-Curate Page
West Lodge and Gateway, Chillingham
- Overview Map Street View Lodge, dated 1835, and gateway to Chillingham Castle, by Edward Blore for the Earl of Tankerville. A Geade II listed building.
Wylam Station
  Co-Curate Page
Wylam Station
- Overview About Wylam Station Map Street View Wylam Station was built in 1835 for the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway. It is one of the earliest stations in the world still ...
Wearmouth Colliery (1835-1993)
  Co-Curate Page
Wearmouth Colliery (1835-1993)
- Overview About Wearmouth Colliery Wearmouth Colliery in Sunderland was sunk from 1826-1834 and at the time it began producing coal in 1835 it was the deepest mine in the world ...
  Co-Curate Page
Windlestone Hall
- Overview About Windlestone Hall Map There has been a house on the site since the 16th century. The present Windlestone Hall was built c.1835 by Ignatius Bonomi for Sir Robert ...
The Grey Horse, Shildon
  Co-Curate Page
The Grey Horse, Shildon
Bridge, Warwick Bridge
  Co-Curate Page
Bridge, Warwick Bridge
- Bridge over the River Eden at&nbsp;Warwick Bridge, Cumbria.
Rickerby House
  Co-Curate Page
Rickerby House
- Rickerby House was built c.1835 for George Head Head (c.1795 - 1876), banker, mine owner and High Sheriff of Cumberland.&nbsp;Landscaped gardens were laid out around the house. In 1922 much ...
from Geograph (geograph)
Rickerby Park Tower

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Rickerby Park Tower
  Co-Curate Page
Rickerby Park Tower
- A folly, and possibly a dovecote built c.1835, for George Head Head, in the grounds of Rickerby House.[1] The tower is Grade II listed.
Holy Trinity and St George RC Church, Kendal
  Co-Curate Page
Holy Trinity and St George RC Church, Kendal
- Overview About the Church Map Street View Holy Trinity and St George's Church is located on the corner of New Street and Blackhall Road in Kendal. The Roman Catholic church ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES