Topics > Tyne and Wear > Newcastle upon Tyne > Civil Parishes in Newcastle > Woolsington Civil Parish

Woolsington Civil Parish


Parish boundaries may have changed - for the latest map see the Parish Council or Newcastle City Council.

About the Parish

Overview: Woolsingham is one of only six civil parishes in Newcastle upon Tyne (most of the city is unparished). The parish is located roughly 5 miles north-west of the city centre and includes both urban and rural areas. Newcastle Airport is located at the north of the parish.
Main Settlements:

Woolsingham (village), Callerton, Black Callerton and the urban area including parts of Whorlton Grange, Beadburn, Newbiggin Hall and Bank Foot. Woolsington is also an electoral ward, which covers a larger geographical area than the parish.

Population:

8,256  (2011 Census)

7,928  (2001 Census)

Area: 17.2 km2
Parish Council: Woolsinton Parish Council
Unitary Authority: Newcastle City Council
Ceremonial County: Tyne and Wear

Historical

Ancient Township:

Woolsinton Township

Townships became civil parishes in their own right in 1866 (see below).

Ancient Parish:

Dinnington Parish  (St Matthew)

The Parish of Dinnington was created in 1834, mainly from parts of the parish of Ponteland.

Prior to that Woolsingham was part of the ancient parish of Newburn.[1]

Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.

Ancient District:

Castle (ward)

Poor Law Union:

Castle Ward Poor Law Union, formed in 1836.

Castle Union Workhouse was located at Ponteland, built in 1848 to house 120 inmates, and later extended. Prior to 1848 the Union used the old workhouse at Heddon-on-the-Wall.

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 parishes were grouped into Unions, each of which had to build a workhouse if they did not already have one. It ended the old system of locally provided poor relief which had come under strain as numbers out of work grew, following increasing mechanisation of agriculture and the economic downturn after the Napoleonic Wars, along with changing social attitudes. The workhouse provided those unable to support themselves financially with accommodation and work. Inmates were generally segregated into men, women, boys and girls. 

The workhouse system was abolished by the Local Government Act 1929, but many workhouses lived on as ‘Public Assistance Institutions’ until the National Assistance Act 1948.

County:

Northumberland, until 1974, then:

Tyne & Wear, which was created on the 1st of April 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972.

Tyne and Wear County Council (1974 - 1986), based at Sandyford House.

The council was abolished in 1986 along with the other metropolitan county councils in England by the Local Government Act 1985. However, it remains a ceremonilal county.

District Council:

Newcastle City (metropolitan borough)

Since 1986 Newcastle City Council has functioned as a unitary authority (responsible for both district and county-level functions).

Major Boundary Change

On 1st April 1955 changes to Dinnington Civil Parish boundaries included:

Source: [2]

Civil Parishes in Newcastle Newcastle Airport West Brunton Callerton Black Callerton Bank Foot Metro Station Callerton Parkway Metro Station Airport Metro Station Woolsington
from https://www.haveavoice.org....
Woolsington Parish Council
- "....Woolsington​ ​is a civil parish of Newcastle upon Tyne England. It is situated in two Electoral City Council Wards. The Parish councils itself consists of Beadburn, Callerton, Newbiggin Hall and ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Woolsington
  Co-Curate Page
Woolsington
- Overview About Woolsington Map Street View Woolsington Village is about 5 miles north-west of Newcastle city centre. It forms part of the Civil Parish of Woolsington, which includes Newcastle Airport. ...
Newcastle Airport
  Co-Curate Page
Newcastle Airport
- Overview About Newcastle Airport Map Street View Newcastle International Airport is located near Woolsington, about 6 miles north-west of Newcastle city centre. The airport opened on the 26th of July ...
Black Callerton
  Co-Curate Page
Black Callerton
- Overview Map Street View Black Callerton is a rural village within the City of Newcastle upon Tyne, located about 5 miles north-west of the city centre. The earliest reference to ...
Callerton
  Co-Curate Page
Callerton
- Overview Map Street View  
Bank Foot Metro Station
  Co-Curate Page
Bank Foot Metro Station
- Overview About Bank Foot Station Map Street View Bank Foot is a station on the Tyne and Wear Metro which opened in 1981. It was the terminus of the Green ...
Callerton Parkway Metro Station
  Co-Curate Page
Callerton Parkway Metro Station
- Overview About Callerton Parkway Station Map Street View Callerton Parkway is a station on the Tyne and Wear Metro. The station was opened on the 17th of November, 1991, as ...
Airport Metro Station
  Co-Curate Page
Airport Metro Station
- Overview About Airport Metro Station Map Street View Airport is as station of the Tyne and Wear Metro; it is the terminus at the north end of the Green Line, which ...
from https://www.visionofbritain...
Woolsington Tn/CP

Added by
Simon Cotterill
West Brunton
  Co-Curate Page
West Brunton
- In the 19th century West Brunton was a township within the Parish of Gosforth, at that time part of Northumberland. There was an engine house here for the Brunton and ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES