Whorlton, County Durham


Whorlton in County Durham is a village located on the North banks of the River Tees, about 3.5 miles South East of Barnard Castle. Whorlton has been a crossing point of the Tees for many centuries; originally by a ford  and a the a ferry which operated from 1691. A safter crossing was provided with the opening of Whorlton Suspension Bridge in 1831.

Whorlton is a small village in County Durham, in England. It is situated near the River Tees and to the east of Barnard Castle.

Whorlton Bridge is a 183ft long suspension bridge which crosses the River Tees. It is Britain's oldest suspension bridge relying on original chainwork.

The village has a public house called 'Fernaville's Rest'.

Arthur Headlam and James Wycliffe Headlam were both born in the village.

History

In October 1829, Whorlton Bridge, then under construction, was destroyed when the River Tees flooded. John Green of Newcastle upon Tyne was called upon to design a replacement. He based the Whorlton Bridge on the Scotswood Bridge, which he had designed earlier. Construction began in 1830, and the bridge was opened in July 1831.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 14/08/2017).
Visit the page: Whorlton, County Durham for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from http://www.whorlton-village...
Whorlton Village Website
- "The peaceful and picturesque village of Whorlton is located 3 miles east of Barnard Castle in Co. Durham and overlooks the River Tees with its overhanging cliffs. The Tees is ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Whorlton Suspension Bridge and Toll House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Cyclists over Whorlton Suspension Bridge

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
The tollhouse at Whorlton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Table of charges

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Whorlton Suspension Bridge

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Mary's Church, Whorlton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Houses of Whorlton from the west

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Whorlton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
River Tees swimming area at Whorlton Lido in 2001

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Bridge Inn, Pub and Restaurant, Whorlton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Image taken from page 535 of 'The Local Historian's Table Book of remarkable occurrences, historical facts, traditions, legendary and descriptive ballads, connected with the Counties of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, and Durham. Historical Division.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Local Histories: Whorlton
- "Whorlton stands on the north bank of the Tees four miles downstream from Barnard Castle. The village of Whorlton (population 205) consists of houses built round a triangular green, various ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Sledwich Cottages, near Barnard Castle

Pinned by Pat Thomson

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES