Local Histories: Whorlton

  • Description

    "Whorlton stands on the north bank of the Tees four miles downstream from Barnard Castle. The village of Whorlton (population 205) consists of houses built round a triangular green, various out-lying farms and Sledwich, a 16th century house. This village was first recorded as Queorningtun in about 1050. It probably means 'Farmstead by the mill stream'. The Old name of Whorlton Beck was no doubt Cweorning, a derivative of Old English cweorn 'mill'. Whorlton has a long history, being a local crossing point of the Tees for many centuries. Originally there was a ford to Wycliffe and beyond. But this was dangerous, and a ferry boat operating from 1691 proved equally so...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Detailsx?PRN=D6903
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 11 months ago
    Viewed: 421 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES